VMware Communities
sanchezl
Contributor
Contributor

Corrupt Files when copying from Linux Host to Windows Guest

I've been experiencing this issue for a while, but I was so used to using the workaround that it wasn't until I recently had to setup a VMWare image and had forgotten for a couple of hours about how to work around the issue.

When using RHEL 4 as a host OS and Windows 2000, XP, or Server 2003 as a guest os I seem to experience file corruption when attempting to copy files from the host to the guest. The three situations are as follows:

1. I enabled shared folders in the guest OS and map it to a path on the host. While installing a product in the guest off the host, I get a "file not found" error while reading one of the files. I have tried mapping the share so that the resultant paths in the guest are as short as possible, but I can't get it to work.

2. I used a shared folder to extract the product installation from the zipped image from the publisher. I get no errors during extraction (from either Info-Zip's unzip or built in zip tools in Windows). When I run the installation program I get another "file not found" message partway through (not on the same file as in #1). I have also tried copying the zip file into the VM first, then extracting it (same error occurs).

3. I use mkisofs to create a CD image of the program's install directory. I mount the ISO in the VM. I get the same "file not found" message during the installation.

The workarounds:

1. map a drive using SMB and execute the installer - this works, but slower than Shared Folders.

2. map a drive using SMB and extract the installer's zip and execute the installer - this works (copying the zip file to the VM and then unzipping works too).

3. use mkisofs to create CD image and burn to a physical CD and run the installer - This works too.

Does anyone know what might be possibly going on?

0 Kudos
0 Replies