VMware Communities
AlycatSoftware
Contributor
Contributor

Copying/moving a VMWare area

I have been using VMWare for a few months, very happy with it.

I have just bought a new laptop, to replace my old one (after I get the new one setup). I installed VM Workstation on my new laptop, made sure it was closed on my old, copied the whole directory in which my VM is stored, loaded WS on my new laptop, said "moved", and everything was there, wonderful.

I am not yet ready to go "live" on my new laptop so am still using my old - I found today I cannot access the internet from the VM on my old laptop. I can from outside the VM, also on my new laptop, and also from within the VM on my new.

Where should I start looking? Help appreciated.

Ken

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

ping any website and see if it works

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

if you said "I moved it" then the new VM has the same MAC address than the old one.
Probably that is why the old VM no longer works.

To test if this is the case set network on the new VM to be disconnected - or power it off.
Then the old VM should work again

AlycatSoftware
Contributor
Contributor

I thought that the problem may have been a duplicate mac address on the network, so I had generated a new one through VM, but that did not fix it. I tried powering one of the laptops off and that did not fix it either. At some stage I rebooted. I then tried a ping as suggested above and it started working. Strange, but I now have internet access.

Thanks

0 Kudos