VMware Communities
daniel341
Contributor
Contributor

Copy/paste and drag/drop doesn't work

I'm using VMware Workstation 11.1.2 with Windows 7 x64 Enterprise as host and Ubuntu Mate 15.10 and cannot get the above to work.

I've tried to uninstall and install VMWare Tools twice and it seems to succeed but those features still doesn't work.

They are both checked in Guest Isolation.

0 Kudos
36 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Uninstall, reboot guest and install is indeed a good first step.

However with linux guests it sometimes is a bit more complicated.

Please have a look at the following thread, it lists most common reasons for copy&paste not working.

Cannot get Copy-Paste to work for Workstation Player 12

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
daniel341
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

As I wrote before I've tried uninstall and installing again.

I checked that thread and it seems like "vmware-user" command doesn't exist.

How can I fix that?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Strange the topic starteer in that thread complained about a similar issue.

Is the vmtoolsd process running? (try the tests I provide in the other thread)

If not then try running:

/usr/lib/vmware-tools/sbin64/vmtoolsd -n vmusr --blockFd 3

A bit after doing that try copy&paste again.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
daniel341
Contributor
Contributor

Then I get

sh: 1: vmware-xdg-detect-de: not found

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Ok, so how did you install VMware Tools?

From the menu or did you actually run the installer from the .tar.gz bundle that is available after you mount the Linux vmware tools CD?

--

Wil

0 Kudos
daniel341
Contributor
Contributor

I followed the steps under "Ubuntu or Ubuntu Server with a graphical user interface" on VMware KB:     Installing VMware Tools in an Ubuntu virtual machine

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

If the vmware-install.pl script ran and reported no errors then it should pretty much just work.

Only additional requirement should be to run vmware-user or reboot the guest and it should even say so at the end of the install.

I understand that that isn't the case, but as your install doesn't appear to have the expected bits at the designated locations I'm a bit puzzled as what's so different with your setup.

Hopefully somebody else here has some ideas?

--

Wil

0 Kudos
daniel341
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I didn't see any obvious error messages.

I've also noted that I get error messages in the host machine when suspending and resuming the guest.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Can you be a bit more specific about what kind of errors you are getting?

--

Wil

0 Kudos
daniel341
Contributor
Contributor

When resuming:

"The VMware Tools resume script did not run successfully in this virtual machine. If you have configured a custom resume script in this virtual machine, make sure that it contains no errors. You can also submit a support request to report this issue"

When suspending:

"The request to Suspend this virtual machine failed because the corresponding VMware Tools script did not run successfully. If you have configured a custom suspend script in this virtual machine, make sure that it contains no errors. Attempting the operation again will ignore the script failure. You can also submit a support request to report the issue."

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Both are an indication that the VMware Tools install did not really work out. Not a huge problem by itself, but the vmware tools normally take care of this part.

BTW, I just notice at the ubuntu-mate website that they put the 32 bits version (x86) forward more as the 64 bits (AMD64) one.

Did you install the 64 bits version or the 32 bits one?

If you installed the 32 bits one then the paths mentioned above will be wrong as they point to the 64 bits paths.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
daniel341
Contributor
Contributor

I've installed the 64 bits.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Right.. well I just installed Ubuntu Mate x64 down here using easy install (which auto installs VMware Tools) on VMware Workstation 12.01 and copy&paste worked out of the box .. immediately after login.

What you can try is to use the VMware Tools from 12.01 instead of the one you are using now:

https://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/ws/12.0.1/3160714/windows/packages/tools-linux.tar

That will probably get around this issue.

It might not be officially supported, but on other VMware Platforms (eg. vSphere) it is OK to have a slightly newer version of VMware Tools as the one that is provided by the product.

Move info on VMware Tools 10 is here:

VMware Tools 10.0.0 Released - VMware Blogs

--

Wil

0 Kudos
daniel341
Contributor
Contributor

I uninstalled the old one then tried to install the one you linked. Then it said open-vm-tools were installed so I uninstalled that to and then were able to install VM Tools 10.

Though the problem persist.    

0 Kudos
daniel341
Contributor
Contributor

Bump.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Sorry been sick all week and have not been able to follow up here much.

For open-vm-tools you have to remove it completely (it has been reported that a plain uninstall doesn't work)

Eg.. use

apt-get purge open-vm-tools

instead of:

apt-get remove open-vm-tools

then install the normal vmware-tools again.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
daniel341
Contributor
Contributor

I removed everything again and upgrade Workstation to 11.1.3 and then installed the included VMware Tools and rebooted.

After reboot I got a crash in Ubuntu.

It says that /usr/lib/vmware-tools/sbin64/vmtoolsd crashed saying "Skipped: missing required field "Disassembly"

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

and what happens if you now try VMware Tools 10?

--

Wil

0 Kudos
daniel341
Contributor
Contributor

When using "sudo ./vmware-install.pl -d" it recommends me to use "open-vm-tools" instead.

Should I try to install that or us the legacy installer?

0 Kudos