VMware Communities
Neal63
Contributor
Contributor

Copy & Paste failed at RHEL7.4 VM, but succeeded at CentOS7.9 VM.

Dear Sir,

I am new to this community. I was trying to find out solution for my issue but fail to succeed. So, maybe it will be lucky to get your help.

I installed 2 guest VM in my Window 11 OS, one is RHEL7.4 and the other one is CentOS 7.9. As to VMware, I am using VMware Workstation Pro 16.2.5. So, with same VMware Workstation environment, the Copy & Paste actions only works in CentOS 7.9 VM. But it's a pity that the key VM is the RHEL7.4 one for my job. So, it's very painful for me to Copy & Paste texts between Window and Linux. My workaround is open a text file inside shared folder and use it as middle interface. Looks like something different in Linux OS part to prevent that works in RHEL7.4 VM. Do you happen to know the solution? If yes, that will be great help.

ps. I have ever re-installed VM-tools, but that didn't help.

Ps. I also modified the .vmx file to add below lines, that also didn't help.

--------------------------------------------------

isolation.tools.copy.disable = "FALSE"
isolation.tools.dnd.disable = "FALSE"
isolation.tools.paste.disable = "FALSE" 

--------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance,

Neal

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

You say you've installed "VM-tools". Is that VMware Tools or open-vm-tools  and open-vm-tools-desktop from the RHEL repos?

(you should be using open-vm-tools and open-vm-tools-desktop according to: http://partnerweb.vmware.com/GOSIG/RHEL_7.html).

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Neal63
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Technogeezer,

I mean the one in "VM-> Reinstall VMware Tools" pulldown menu. It will generate a 'VMwareTools-10.3.23-16594550.tar.gz' tarball, then untar it to install the 'vmware-tools-distrib/vmware-install.pl' command with root role. Looks like it's the so called "VMware Tools". 

I am not IT guy, and I didn't hear open-vm-tools  and open-vm-tools-desktop before. Thank you for pointing me that URL. I will try to install them to see whether the problem can be solved. Will feedback my testing in these coming days.

Thank you,

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal63
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Technogeezer,

Thanks a lot for your hint. After I ran below command to install "open-vm-tools-desktop" in my RHEL7.4 guest VM, I can do Copy & Paste between Window host and Linux guest. That's so beautiful!!

-------------------------------------------------------

sudo yum install open-vm-tools-desktop

-------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

Neal

0 Kudos