VMware Communities
justinbaileyava
Contributor
Contributor

Copy/Paste, Shared Folders Stop Working after Host Power Saving Turns off Screens in Workstation Pro 12.1.0 build-3272444

Has anyone run across this?

The workaround that seems to usually work is to close the troubled instance(s) of workstation completely and re-open it. I have tried un/re-installing the VMWare Tools (which is sometimes necessary with the shared folders disappearing), the VMWare workstation product itself, disabling host power savings, etc.

I typically run three to four "instances" (dragging vm tabs outside of the initial window) regularly and copy/paste among them is crucial to my normal workflow.

Host is Win 10 x64 with latest updates. Radeon HD7800 on Crimson 15.12 with 6 screens. Two different Raid 10 drives for the data and working directories.

Guests are a mixture of Win 10x64, Win 8.1 x64, Win 7 x64, and Linux. Only one is "shared."

Each of them face this issue together or separately at seemingly random times and with an inconsistent mix of symptoms--such as sometimes it is just copy and paste that stops working, sometimes just the shared folders disappear suddenly, and sometimes both. The only consistent observation I can make is that it tends to happen after the host is locked / unlocked, or if power savings turns off the host screens.

The only other oddity I notice is that none of the VMware Workstation processes show as running in x64 bit in Task Manager like normal 64-bit programs do. Instead it shows the (32 bit) text beside each, which makes no sense to me. Why would a 64-bit product (I should hope) be running in 32-bit according to Windows?

Also, note that this behavior existed in the previous builds of 12 as well, it just wasn't as frequent as it is in this last build.

Final note is that I was surprised to find out that license money doesn't buy any support. Admittedly, coming from the same kind of use with VirtualBox, I am extremely disappointed with the lack of official support, missing features, explicit limitations (such as no copy/paste or shared folders on shared vms), as well as the lack of any perceived performance from a paid-for, "professional" product. Is there some simple setting or tribal VMware knowledge that I am missing to make this product work more consistently?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
_Royce_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My license for Workstation Pro 12 came with support and I have made use of it.

Go to Login - My VMware, login, click Get Support, choose a Technical Issue from the list. You should see your licensed products listed and then you can create a support request.

This was one of the reasons I chose to go with Workstation over VirtualBox, which really has very little support.

0 Kudos
justinbaileyava
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much for your reply.

That is good to know--I assumed that since I didn't see any license in the list that there wasn't one included. Perhaps it is a glitch on VMware's side--I'll follow up with them on why they aren't showing up.

Any experience with any of the issues above?

0 Kudos
_Royce_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any experience with any of the issues above?

Unfortunately not. I have learned to live without copy and paste as I access all my guests via VNC.

0 Kudos