VMware Communities
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Copy + Paste From Windows Guest To Linux Host

I am noticing that copy + paste that used to work for me with zero issues is sometimes having issues with Linux as a host.  I ran several tests to identify when the issue happens, and my findings are below:

When I use Windows Explorer under Windows guest, copy + paste to Linux host usually works with no issues at all.

I am a licensed user of Directory Opus, which is a Windows Explorer replacement.  Copy + paste using Directory Opus always fails on the host with file not found errors.  Copy + paste using Directory Opus worked many times successfully using Windows as a host under Workstation v15.  I upgraded to v16 under Linux, so I do not know if there were new issues introduced with v16.

I asked Directory Opus developers if this is their issue or VMWare's, and they stated that they are using standard APIs.  They suggested I communicate this issue to VMWare.  In summary, it worked without issue with Windows as a host.  It is failing for me with Linux as a host.  It works with no problems using Windows Explorer to copy from the Windows host.  It fails using the latest Directory Opus version 12.22.  Here is an exact comment from a developer:  https://resource.dopus.com/t/copy-paste-from-vmware-guest-into-linux-host-fails/37134/2

Please let me know if you need more info.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am running W10 VM''s on a Linux host (LMDE). Vmware is version 16. Dopus does copy paste without error. If you tell me exactly what you are doing, I can try to replicate it. I copy/paste both files and text via  shared folders without error. 

Using Dopus to copy folders to the Linux host can be little tricky due to owner/permissions. If you make the directories using the host FS, it helps keep permissions straight.

Lou

0 Kudos
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks.  The workflow is pretty straight forward. Here are screenshots:

copy_from_windows_guest.png

file_not_found.png

This same workflow above works without issue using Windows Explorer instead of Directory Opus.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

OK, that doesn't work here either, but in both dopus and Explorer. I just get a greyed out Paste in the menu.

I can copy/paste text. I never try to transfer files that way. I use mapped drives or ftp for both Windows and Linux hosts. I think you will find a lot of posts about copy paste on here. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Sorry I can't help.

Lou

0 Kudos
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are worse off than me.  Copy + paste should work for both text and files.  This is very do-able.  This feature just needs to go back into the oven a little longer.

It works perfectly with a Windows host.  It should also work perfectly with a Linux host.

0 Kudos