VMware Communities
hcitechnical
Contributor
Contributor

Converter 5.1 to Workstation 10.0?

I just installed Workstation 10.0.0 on a new Win8Pro-64 computer (HP was supposed to ship it with Win7Pro-64 but screwed up).

I also installed Converter 5.1.0 on an old XP-SP3 computer.

When I run the Converter, I pick...

Type = VMware Workstation or other...

In the Product drop down box, the LATEST choice is VMware Workstation 9.0.x.

I'm new to this so I'm not sure how to export to version 10 if the latest Converter (which I'm assuming 5.1 is) can't do it. Any advice is appreciated.

Jeff

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - Why use Converter Standalone? Workstation 10 includes a a version of Converter - From the Release Notes:

New Converter
This release includes the latest version of the VMware Standalone Converter. The Converter enables users to turn a physical machine into a virtual machine. This version of the Converter includes the ability to convert machines running Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, and RHEL 6 operating systems. It supports virtual and physical machines with Unified Extensible Firmware Interfaces (UEFI) and EXT4 file systems as well as GUID Partition Table (GPT) disks.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
hcitechnical
Contributor
Contributor

So, I would simply load Workstation 10.0 on the old XP machine and use the converter in it?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

No - just use what you already have installed.
Select WS 9 and follow the wizard - you can later update the version without problems.

Everything is fine - no need to do any unnecessary steps

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

No you do not need to install Converter Seperately it is installed with Workstation - I assume you are looking to virtualize a physical machine - you should follow the instruction on page 25 of http://www.vmware.com/pdf/desktop/ws10-using.pdf.

or you can follow continuum 's advice -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos