VMware Communities
freaky2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Convert thick to thin disk w/o removing snapshots

Hey there,

we want to convert some thick disks to thin (vmware workstation 5.5). Found some documents on this but those claim this can't be done whilst snapshots exist.

However, I used the vmware-vdiskmanager on the latest snapshot .vmdk and it appears to work fine (copied the resulting disk image to another machine running vmware workstation 5.5, created a new virtual machine using that disk and starts fine, appearantly containing all data including latest snapshot).

Should I be worried?

Did it like so:

vmware-vdiskmanager -r image-name-0000003.vmdk -t 0 destination.vmdk

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Since the image-name-0000003.vmdk contains a reference to the base virtual disk, basically what you have done is used the vmware-vdiskmanger to read the data from both the snapshot and the base virtual disk and created a new virtual disk of type growable.

Should you be worried...not is this case.

If you had used vmware-vdiskmanager to expand a base virtual disk and it had a snapshot, there would be problems in that case.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Since the image-name-0000003.vmdk contains a reference to the base virtual disk, basically what you have done is used the vmware-vdiskmanger to read the data from both the snapshot and the base virtual disk and created a new virtual disk of type growable.

Should you be worried...not is this case.

If you had used vmware-vdiskmanager to expand a base virtual disk and it had a snapshot, there would be problems in that case.

0 Kudos
freaky2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yea I figured that cause I saw the references in the .vmdk. Kinda strange tho' since 000001 is actually the latest snapshot whilst there's a 000002 :D.

Anyways was just curious as to why the manual says otherwise then, perhaps it was an old one.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Actually if you had done the following

vmware-vdiskmanger -r mybase.vmdk -t 0 mynew.vmdk

and the "mybase.vmdk" had a snapshot, then you would be in trouble and lose the snapshot data.

What you did, using the snapshot is not even in the manual.

It's what they call a undocumented feature Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
freaky2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah, so I should be getting a bonus? :smileygrin:

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos