VMware Communities
william33
Contributor
Contributor

Convert Windows10 and XP clients from VirtualBox

I had Windows10 and XP clients on virtualBox running on a Windows10 host.

I had to chase VirtualBox to confirm that they offer a Windows10 host.

I have an email 26 Jan 2018 from an agent saying that he had made an internal request for change.

On 22 February the Workstation web page Host Operating systems still has no mention of Windows.

I had these of problems converting-

First the import of a VirtualBox .ova always fails on the first attempt and needs a retry at lower validation level.

With the Windows10 client I needed to click on VM/Setting/Options and set Guest Operating System to Microsoft Windows.

I needed to uninstall the Virtualbox Guest Additions and install VMWare tools.

With the XP client I had to check the VM/Setting/Options for Guest Operating System.

The XP client had to be reactivated by Microsoft and I needed base system/VGA/Ethernet drivers.

I uninstalled VirtualBox Gest Additions but could not install VMWare tools as the VM CD drive was set to SCSI and needed to be changed to IDE. I cannot remember how, but if you google and spend long enough, it is possible.

Once the CD is set to IDE VMWare tools can be installed which gets rid of the  base system/VGA/Ethernet drivers problem.

I also had to edit the virtual machine .vmx file and set

sata0.present = "FALSE"

sata0:0.startConnected = "FALSE"

I removed any other sata reference from the .vmx file. This was to get rid of an unknown device and device driver error on start up.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies