VMware Communities
jjamjatra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Considerations for upgrading host from Vista HomePremium to Win 7

I've got a big 64bit PC running Vista HomePremium as the host OS. I've got VMWare Workstation 6.5.x running as an app on Vista and it supports two Windows XP guest machine (essentially nothing else but VMware runs on the host).

I am thinking about upgrading Vista in place based on readings elsewhere. Assuming that were successful, would this be a proper approach as next steps?

• re-Install VMware Workstation application on new host (Win 7)

• point this newly installed VM Workstation application at the (pre) existing virtual machine definitions for the 2 Windows XP guests

I am sorry for not using the best terminology in my question. I hope my question makes sense to a VMware guru. I have a bit of memory about working with MS Virtual PC 2007 products and I think I understand the concepts but my terms are probably way off for VMWare.

Other ways of approaching this same question are:

• is there a planning checklist of things to do before changing your host OS when you are a VMWare Workstation user?

• is there a special version or service pack for VMWare WS to run on a Windows 7 host (64bit) machine?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thank you for your comprehensive answer and suggestions. As I replied back to Naki, do know anything about VMWare's intentions regarding "official" support for Windows 7?

Offical support for Windows7 as both a Host and Guest will be included in VMware Workstation 7, which is currently in beta (actually it is now in Release Candidate stage).

VMware doesn't comment on future release dates, but my guess is that it is "soon" based upon the fact that it is no longer listed on the Beta page here: http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Naki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMWare Workstation does NOT support Windows 7, sorry.

Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I've got a big 64bit PC running Vista HomePremium as the host OS. I've got VMWare Workstation 6.5.x running as an app on Vista and it supports two Windows XP guest machine (essentially nothing else but VMware runs on the host).

I am thinking about upgrading Vista in place based on readings elsewhere. Assuming that were successful, would this be a proper approach as next steps?

I personally would format and clean install Windows7 myself, but if you want to try the upgrade no one will stop you. Smiley Happy Perhaps uninstall VMware Workstation and your AntiVirus applications first before upgrading to reduce the chance of problems?

• re-Install VMware Workstation application on new host (Win 7)

• point this newly installed VM Workstation application at the (pre) existing virtual machine definitions for the 2 Windows XP guests

Yup, that is all you really need to do.

I am sorry for not using the best terminology in my question. I hope my question makes sense to a VMware guru. I have a bit of memory about working with MS Virtual PC 2007 products and I think I understand the concepts but my terms are probably way off for VMWare.

Other ways of approaching this same question are:

• is there a planning checklist of things to do before changing your host OS when you are a VMWare Workstation user?

Not really. Just shut down your Guests beforehand (don't just suspend them).

• is there a special version or service pack for VMWare WS to run on a Windows 7 host (64bit) machine?

While Windows 7 isn't officially supported as a Host or Guest under VMware Workstation 6.5.3, several people on here (including me) have successfully done so.

jjamjatra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you know if support is in the works for VMWare Workstation such that it will run on Windows 7 and be able to host Win XP virtual machines as guest OS'es?

If not, do know why? That is, is there some alternative product from VMWare that will run on Windows 7? I cannot believe VMWare would just ignore this new platform...

...also, another responder - Scissors I believe - says Workstation 6.5.3 works on Windows 7..

0 Kudos
jjamjatra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your comprehensive answer and suggestions. As I replied back to Naki, do know anything about VMWare's intentions regarding "official" support for Windows 7?

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Offical support for Windows7 as both a Host and Guest will be included in VMware Workstation 7, which is currently in beta (actually it is now in Release Candidate stage).

VMware doesn't comment on future release dates, but my guess is that it is "soon" based upon the fact that it is no longer listed on the Beta page here: http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta

0 Kudos