VMware Communities
dguthrie10
Contributor
Contributor

Connections refused between VMs

Using VMWare Pro Work Station

I have two VMs (clones of each other). Simple basically default setup. I have installed Java and Apache Cassandra on each VM. One is configured for 127.0.0.1, the other 127.0.0.2. Individually both instances come up fine on their assigned IPs. However, when I change the settings in the config to allow them them to 'find' each other, so that the two can bind as a cluster, the connection from each to the other is refused. Here is an example message:

127.0.0.1:7000->/127.0.0.2:7000-URGENT_MESSAGES-[no-channel] failed to connect

io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: finishConnect(..) failed: Connection refused: /127.0.0.2:7000
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: finishConnect(..) failed: Connection refused...........

BTW - firewall on VMs are inactive.

I am guessing this is a VM network adapter setup issue, but haven't come up with anything that works to fix it.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

127.0.0.1 is normally the loopback address (local host). I wouldn't use that. use the normal private subnets.

If you cloned them, make sure they don't both have the same MAC address. Then see if they can ping one another.

Lou

0 Kudos
Topstep1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

10.10.10.1 & 10.10.10.2

or

[NETBeui] -- that's an OLD person's joke  -- the (NetBeui part)

0 Kudos
dguthrie10
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - I was guilty on both points. Reset IPs and changed MAC. Same error unfortunately. They do ping each other. But still can't communicate when Cassandra starts up. Maybe a Cassandra issue and not VM?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Assuming no firewall, VPN or such, that would be my guess. I would see if I can share files via Samba or FTP to make sure they can "talk".

0 Kudos