VMware Communities
MikeDrahus
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting to the internet with VMware

I have VMware workstation 12 pro installed on a Ubuntu 16.04 host system. The virtual machine that I have installed is windows 10 64bit. The VMware and the windows 10 were installed for me by a collegue. Firefox is also installed on windows 10 but I can not get it to connect to the internet. I have been trying to apply the methods discussed in this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqf25TUr7_A

It is not the version of VMware that I have but it is similar. I also have connected the PC to the router with a cabel but that also was not successful.

What I have done is to go to the Virtual Network Editor, clicked on NAT (Share hosts IP address with VMs) and then save.

When I restart the machine I still can not connect to the internet through the VM.

How may I solve this problem?

Thank You,

Mike

0 Kudos
8 Replies
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership

Hi and welcome to the forums.

A few questions to start with:

Is the host (physical) machine able to connect to the internet?

If so, then we can move on:

What is the output of ipconfig on the VM? - Does the VM have a valid IP & default gateway?

If you are using DHCP on the VM

Within Workstation, open Virtual Network editor

Ensure this option is ticked: "Use local DHCP service to distribute IP address to VMs"

If you are using a static IP on the VM

Within Workstation, open Network editor, click change settings

Select the NAT option at the top and go to NAT settings

Take a note of the getaway IP and subnet mask

Check that these are what you statically set on your VM

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

check if it can resolve the problem

My Technical Blog: VMWare Internet Connection Problem

Regards,

Randhir

0 Kudos
MikeDrahus
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Graham,

Yes the host machine is connect to the Internet.

In the virtual Network Editor I have checked:

"Use local DHCP service to distribute IP address to VMs"

and

"Connect a host virtual Adapter (vmnet0) to this Network"

I left the subnet IP blank so that the machine can find it itself

I then went into "NAT Settings" and typed the host machine IP into the "Gateway IP" space.

I saved These Settings and tried to open a Webpage after restarting everything. the VM was not connected to the Internet and also, the VM changed the last number in the third group of numbers in the "Gateway IP and it continues to do this when I chnage it back.

I still am not able to connect to the Internet with the VM

MikeDrahus
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Randhir,

Thank you for the link. However it appears that it is a different Version than what I have and the Buttons are not the same.

Mike

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

if host machine is able to connect internet so try below tips . hope it will help to resolve the problem .

Troubleshoot Cannot Connect to Internet in Windows

Regards,

Randhir

MikeDrahus
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Ranchuab,

The Troubleshooting guide suggests that the Problem is with the Windows OS. I attempted to use the diagnosis tools in Windows. It told me it could not find the Ethernet and to connect a cable to the Computer and the router. I did this and there was a light on the port of the Computer indicating that the cable was connected. However the Connection Tester gave notice that there is an error in the cable connection. Also, Windows OS could not find an active Network.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

can you check if you can Ping your default getaway.... I doing same testing in lab ....

Below article describe about how to trouble shot network connectivity issues for Windows virtual machines in VMware Workstation

VMware Knowledge Base

Regards,

Randhir 

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful

MikeDrahus
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Randhir,

I turned off the Firewall and then tried to connect. It was not successful.

I think there is other Problems, such as I can not start Windows 10 two times in row on the VM. I have to restart the Computer first to restart the VM.

Perhaps there is something not correct with the Installation that Needs to be corrected first.

Mike

0 Kudos