VMware Communities
musti87
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting to a VM server through the same network

I have this question I wanted to ask you and I just wanted to know a solution for it. I am building my own test environment for Oracle EBS R12 and I did build it on a linux server and everything is fine, I connect to it by defining the IP and it's name in the hosts file (drivers/etc) and I connect to it through the browser I just simply type in the IP and the application runs smoothly but Of course the machine where I have this up and running is a good machine (i5 with 8gb RAM) and I have my other laptop which is my work laptop has only 4 GB of ram so things are not that smooth and I really would like to centralize my work and have this server to be my permanent one so I want to connect to it through the wifi and make this server up and running all the time (my next step is actually to buy a static IP and be able to connect to it from anywhere for demonstration and experimental reasons) but as for now I just want to be able to connect to this server through the wifi network. I am connected to the VM through the VMnet8 so it is NAT and I have both the host and the VM on the same range. Hope you tell me the method of connecting to my server through the wifi. All what I want is to be able to ping it.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
musti87
Contributor
Contributor

I can't believe no one replied!! Do you need more explanation?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe the conversation we already had via email (before you posted the question in the forum) will help others to understand what you are trying to achieve.

André

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: musti87

I’m not sure whether I understand the setup correctly!? Anyway, to connect to the VM from another system, you need to configure port forwarding on the virtual NAT network, and then connect to the host’s IP address and the forwarded port.

Let’s assume the application in the VM listens to port 80 (http), and port 80 is currently not used otherwise by the host, you can simply create a forwarding rule <host-ip>:80 –> “"<guest-ip>:80 and then use <host-ip>:80 to connect to the VM’s application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok let us start from the beginning.

1- the vm ip is :10.10.10.95

2-the vmnet8 ip is: 10.10.10.99

3-in the drivers I declared the ip and the name of the vm servers.

4- they are connected through NAT.

where can I configure the NAT thing? from where where is the forwarding rule from?

To: musti87

I’m kind of worried about the IP addresses you are using for NAT. According to some users in the VMTN forums, there are issues with subnebts other than 192.168.x.x.

NAT usually uses the ...1 address for the host’s virtual vmnet8 adapter, and ...2 for its gateway address.

Anyway, the port forwarding can be configured in VMware Workstation’s Virtual Network Editor on the vmnet8 network (Button: “NAT settings”).

OK and how can I define the  ports and these things and give the appropriate ips?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

OK and how can I define the  ports and these things and give the appropriate ips?

What you need to do is to find out which ports are required to access the application in the guest OS, then check whether these ports are used/unused in the host OS and define the appropriate port forwarding rules in for the NAT network in the Virtual Network Editor.

André

0 Kudos