VMware Communities
MykhailoM
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting a Host PC as part of domain to VMWare with Server OS on it

Hi Guys,

Could anyone point me to the right settings please.

I have Wind 10 with VMWare Pro Workstation 12.1 that has Wind Server 2012 install in virtual environment on the same machine.

Now, in order to practice the server configuration I need to add the Wind 10 host PC to the Server 2012 domain (on the same computer in virtual environment) to make the Wind 10 a part of Server 2012 domain.

When I try to add the host PC to the Server domain in VMWare it doesn`t see / find the server domain, is anything needs to be configured correctly to make this possible?

Thanks a LOT!

7 Replies
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

First of all, the guest VM seems to have been set to be the domain controller, but please confirm that's the case.  Then, how about build another VM and make the two VMs a virtual network?  In another word, do you have to use the host and the VM guest as one network?

0 Kudos
MykhailoM
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Yes, I think it seems as I`m better off creating another VM and add that VM to VM Server 2012 as a domain controller. Currently I have Wind XP Pro as a VM and still trying to find the way to add it to the Server Domain. When I do ipconfig it doesn`t show the VM Server domain name. It states "Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : localdomain

I Can install Wind 7 Pro as VM as well if it helps.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Make sure your DC has the DNS role installed and configured.

Make that the DNS server in the clients you are joining to the Domain.

You could also try making an entry in your hosts file.

Lou

0 Kudos
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Many things have to be in places in order to build a (virtual) network.  I'm not a network person, but can share my experience and understanding here.

1. I use NAT on my VMs on the virtual network.

1.1. I don't remember what I read regarding if Bridged or Host-only would work at all or better.

1.2. You'll need to do certain things to set up a NAT.

2. Domain controller should - or, has to? - have a fixed IP, even if it's 192.168.x.x

3. Other VMs on the same virtual network should - or, have to? - have the same subnet as the domain controller.

3.1. If all VMs use the same NAT, it's taken care of.

4. You need to decide on using DHCP or not on non-domain controller machines.

Again, there're many other details to work out.

0 Kudos
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Make sure both of the machines have their IP settings from the same NETWORK:

EXAMPLE:

Client: DYNAMIC or STATIC

IP address: 10.0.0.7

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 10.0.0.1

Preferred DNS server: 10.0.0.5

---

DNS Server: STATIC "Not obtained automatically"

IP address: 10.0.0.5

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 10.0.0.1

Preferred DNS server: 127.0.0.1 is the loopback Internet protocol (IP) address also referred to as the localhost.

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator

http://ITCloudStream.com/

www.ITSA.Cloud
MykhailoM
Contributor
Contributor

Should the IP settings be configures within the VMware Workstation only?

0 Kudos
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Don't touch the VMware Workstation IP setting, just configure the Client: Windows 10 & DNS Windows Server 2012

PING from both ends CLIENT\SERVER - SERVER/CLIENT if you got a reply, then you r good to go!  

www.ITSA.Cloud