VMware Communities
rudenate3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Connecting 4 VMWare Workstation sessions together.

Hello,

I am working on a senior project for school. We had to build a mock-up of a 4 building network. We have servers and workstations in each building that we must now "simulate". What we have done is set up each physical computer as one building. (4 buildings, 4 PCs) What we need to do, is have each building on it's own subnet. The problem we are having, is getting each of the LAN segments to talk to each other over the network.

Has anyone ever done something similar? Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so how?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kingneutron
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

o Obtain $5-port-gigabit-switch and some Cat5E cables.

o Use Bridged networking, and have all the VMs get their IP addys from a central DHCP server, such as a router or dedicated VM (openbsd or the like) in one (or more) of the "buildings".

o For "server" vms, also use static addresses (add a 2nd Bridged NIC to the vm.)

See:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Description=gigabit%20switch&bop=And&Order...

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kingneutron
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

o Obtain $5-port-gigabit-switch and some Cat5E cables.

o Use Bridged networking, and have all the VMs get their IP addys from a central DHCP server, such as a router or dedicated VM (openbsd or the like) in one (or more) of the "buildings".

o For "server" vms, also use static addresses (add a 2nd Bridged NIC to the vm.)

See:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Description=gigabit%20switch&bop=And&Order...

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA
0 Kudos
kingneutron
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

o Bonus points idea: Set up my Squid VM in each "building" for shared Internet-gateway / caching / filtering access.

+ Saves on downloading Win updates, etc

-> A+ Bonus Points idea: Implement automatic failover if one of the DHCP servers goes down.

// u owe me a $beer-equivalent 😛

Message was edited by:

kingneutron

spina
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey guys one question would installing and running VMware server get rid of the need for a switch and networking cables or are we stuck?

Thanks

Message was edited by:

spina

0 Kudos
kingneutron
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

--In a real-life situation, you wouldn't be able to get away from the cabling anyhow.

--Send my compliments to your prof; this is an excellent mockup scenario.

// And don't forget to award Points.

Message was edited by:

kingneutron