VMware Communities
kili
Contributor
Contributor

Connect Virtual Windows 2003 network to Internet

Hi Guys I am running VMWare 6 on Windows Vista .

I have a virtual network set-up with a windows 2003 server ( AD controller) and an XP workstation as a domain network using VMnet 3 for network connections between windows 2003 and XP.

I'm trying to get the virtual network connected to the Internet via the Windows Vista Internet connection which uses a Netgear Router at 192.168.0.1.

I have edited Virtual Network settings and set VMnet 3 from 'Not Bridged' to bridged using my vista pyhsical card set to 192.168.02. At this point I'm struggling to tie this toghther to get my virtual network to be able to access the Internet simply because internet access is 192.168.01 and my physical card is 192.168.0.2.

Was settting VMnet 3 to bidged using the Vista physical network card the correct thing to do?

Any clues as to what I'm missing would be appreciated .

Many Thanks

Kili

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

First determine how many physical NICs you have on your host (physical machine). Post "IPCONFIG /ALL" if you have any doubts.

If there is more than one, disable Automatic bridging in VMware Workstation Virtual Networks settings. Bridge manually. Usually one physical adapter is bridged to VMnet0. You can assign another one to VMnet2 to VMnet7, if you want/need to.

In general you want to bridge your virtual NIC to the same physical NIC as you have your router connected to.

0 Kudos
kili
Contributor
Contributor

Peter thank you for the reply.

My problem as I see it is Internet access is gained through my physical Netgear router at IP address 192.168.0.1. by my phyiscal network card on my phyiscal vista machine, this nic has the IP address 192.168.0.2.

My virtual network is using VMnet3 as virtual switches . I need to bridge this to my netgear router at 192.168.0.1 but cant see this as an option under 'Virtual Network Settings' I only have the option to bridge to my physical network card on my Vista PC at 192.168.0.2

I cant see how to solve this

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Bridging does not work at TCP/IP layer, it works at lower layer. So you are not bridging to IP's but you are bridging devices.

In this case is like wiring all NICs to the same ethernet switch. So you can assign IP's of 192.168.0.10 or 192.168.0.100 or else (on the same 192.168.0 network) to your guests. If they use 192.168.0.1 as default gateway, they should be able to reach internet.

In fact that is a default setting for VMnet0, which bridges to your primary NIC on host. No need to use other VMnets.

0 Kudos
kili
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Peter

So given that I'm using vmnet3 for connection between my virtual network devices based on what your saying as I understand it I do one of two things.

1. Bridge vmnet3 to vmnet0

2. or simply enter 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway on my virtual network machines

Have I assesd this correctly?

Many Thanks

Kili

0 Kudos