VMware Communities
LachlanMcDonald
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Confusion Regarding Data loss on VMWare Virtual Disk

Evening all,

Excuse the amateurism, but I'm looking for help on a problem I'm having with a virtual machine.

I created a Virtual Machine with a fixed size virtual disk for use as a LAMP (in this case, Ubuntu 9.10) development environment. I've used this over the course of close to a year, and have been taking snapshots quarterly, or before I did anything stupid to the OS. So far there have been five snapshots, and a clone I took a month ago.

Recently I created another VM to install the same LAMP configuraiton on Ubuntu 10.04 (I wanted a fresh install). I didn't know it was a bad idea at the time, so I created a second disk on the 10.04 VM and mounted the primary disk of the 9.04 VM. Evidently 10.04 altered the disk in some way, as I would receive the "+The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was

created.+"error whenever I tried to boot.

After a few unsuccessful attempt of trying to find a recent clone, I created a new VM,and remounted 9.04's virtual disk. However, upon booting that virtual machine, I was returned to, what I believe to be, the very first state of the virtual machine, before the snapshots. However, it is also possible I lost the correct VM whilst trying to find a recent clone (though obviously I'm hoping this is a snapshot problem, and not a stupidity problem).

My question is being, is it possible the disk I've mounted does not take into account my snapshots?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

See http://sanbarrow.com/vmdk-errors.html#e4 for an explanation of the error and some hints how to fix it.

If unsure ask before doing anything that could further "destroy" the disk.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

See http://sanbarrow.com/vmdk-errors.html#e4 for an explanation of the error and some hints how to fix it.

If unsure ask before doing anything that could further "destroy" the disk.

0 Kudos
LachlanMcDonald
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Repairing the CID-chain did it, cheers!

0 Kudos