VMware Communities
dsdonut
Contributor
Contributor

Configuring vmnetdhcp.conf for PXE boot

I'm trying to do a proof of concept for using Spacewalk to provision linux servers. To do this, DHCP needs to be configured for PXE. I've tried adding these two lines to vmnetdhcp.conf:

option next-server     <tftp server ip>

option filename          pxelinux.0

I then tried to restart the vmware dhcp service, but it will not start. I've tried each line individually and it will not start with either of them.

Does vmware use a different syntax? Is there a way to do this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dsdonut
Contributor
Contributor

I forgot to include that I'm using VMWare Workstation 9.

0 Kudos
abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
dsdonut
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. However, that link is about enabling VLSM, not the settings required for a PXE boot.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

dont use the VMware DHCP service for such a task - it does not work when setting additional options.

>  I then  tried to restart the vmware dhcp service, but it will not start. I've  tried each line individually and it will not start with either of them.

Tried your additional options here with the same result

0 Kudos
KTom
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

Recalled had a similar problem.  Were the options in the right location?  Did you try a standardized setup?

Snippet: ( http://www.microdevsys.com/WordPress/2011/09/26/linux-pxe-installing-and-network-booting-windows-7-l... )

host stb3 {
                         hardware ethernet 00:0c:6e:53:9f:a6;
                         fixed-address 192.168.1.2;
                         filename "FCSystem";
                         option root-path "/tftpboot";
                 }

/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default

/tftpboot/FCSystem

Most DHCP configs will be based on common code so this should apply.  Good Luck!

Cheers,

0 Kudos