VMware Communities
Pickwick81
Contributor
Contributor

Configure VMWare Unity menu shown on Ubuntu 11.10 installation

Hi all,

I've recently installed an Ubuntu 11.10 with default installation, without extra installation of classic desktop or whatever. When I activate VMware Unity mode for this virtual machine a menu is shown in the Unity menu which looks a bit comparable to the Windows start menu and very different to the Ubuntu launcher of the Ubuntu Unity shell. This menu lacks some entries for applications etc. I need but I can't figure out where I can configure this menu. I don't wan't to configure the Ubuntu Unity launcher, nut only the "other" menu8 which is used in VMWare Unity mode, but I can't find where I have to switch copy or whatever what.

Is anoyone here able to help me? Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JACKe2
Contributor
Contributor

hi

i installed from ---> 712290304 2011-11-30 16:22 j9/Downloads/ubuntu-11.10-server-i386.iso

and have the expected desktop with [ K ]-->Applications-->expected-directories

i also :

sudo apt-get update                                                                                                      
##      sudo apt-get upgrade often had--> the following have been kept back: not a full upgrade dist-upgrade solved      
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade                                                                                                
sudo apt-get -f install                                                                                                  
sudo apt-get autoremove

jack

0 Kudos
Pickwick81
Contributor
Contributor

JACKe2 schrieb:

i installed from ---> 712290304 2011-11-30 16:22 j9/Downloads/ubuntu-11.10-server-i386.iso

and have the expected desktop with [ K ]-->Applications-->expected-directories

I don't have the server version installed, but the normal desktop and don't know what you mean with [ K ] --> Applications[...]. Is it for a KDE environment or what? I just have Ubunut Unity desktop/shell/however it is called as default and don't see any K or Applications-menu.

0 Kudos
JACKe2
Contributor
Contributor

[ K ] start button

Applications Col

trying to include screen shot of application directories

rw-rw-r-- 1 jack 537,412 2012-02-19 22:38 Pictures/vm-kde.jpeg

Attach  Files                                              Max Size: 49.2 MB                          , File types not allowed: .au, .snd, .mpga, .mp2,  .mp3, .mpeg, .mpg, .mpe, .qt, .mov, .bmp                                       (maximum: 5)

??? it's a fraction of that < .54 mb ???

will retry

0 Kudos
Pickwick81
Contributor
Contributor

[ K ] start button

Applications Col

trying to include screen shot of application directories

I understand, thanks, seems like that is the menu I'm talking about and which I would like to configutre, but still I don't have that K-button on a default Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity shell. Is it something you installed afterwards or is it default on the server version? If I can see this menu in VMWare Unity on a default installation of Ubuntu, there should be a directory, configuration or whatever where I can change this menu without installing KDE specific desktop or else. Can you say where thos configuration is situated in your environment?

0 Kudos
JACKe2
Contributor
Contributor

i have always used the *.iso that includes kubuntu desktop, to install it;

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

jack

0 Kudos