VMware Communities
spoynter
Contributor
Contributor

Computer becomes unresponsive at least once per day when using VMware Workstation Pro 16.1

I just recently installed VMware Workstation Pro 16.1 to try out before purchasing it.  When it works it works great, but at least once per day when I'm using it my computer will become unresponsive forcing me to perform a hard reset.  Anyone else experiencing this issue.  My computers specs are below.

Host: i7-4790k, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080, Windows 10 Pro 2004

Guest: Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2

Thanks...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Host OS and version?

VM CPU and memory configuration?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
spoynter
Contributor
Contributor

Host: i7-4790k, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080, Windows 10 Pro 2004

Guest: Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2

I gave the guest VM 2 CPUs and 4GB RAM the same as I've been doing in Virtualbox.

0 Kudos
Ray_CJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi.

Check the host and guest power management settings and verify it's not set to "hybernate".   Default installations of Win 10 have that "feature" enabled.

Regards

Ray C.

0 Kudos
spoynter
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like both the host and guest are already using the High Performance power plan.  Any other suggestions? 

0 Kudos
Ray_CJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FWIW:  When I evaluated VMware workstation, I also used a 4790k and a 1080GTX card but, the system had 64MB RAM (really nice CPU BTW, one of my favorites).   4GB RAM for Win10 Pro is a bit too thinly provisioned and is less than MS's recommendation.  It's hitting the swap space for sure -which historically is a problem for Windows.  I would increase the RAM allocated to the guest to 8GB as that is Microsoft's minimum recommendation.

By default, Virtualbox pre-allocates RAM for it's guests.  It looks like VMware does not.  This can be changed by going to Edit->Preferences->Memory and selecting the option as shown.    Try these things and see how it goes.

Ray_CJ_0-1607470976539.png

Ray

0 Kudos