VMware Communities
DrWho42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Command to create or convert shared VM

I am using Workstation 10.0.5, and I'm trying to do what seems like a simple task, but I have been unable to find any documentation or discussions on how to do it.

I have a script which uses the ovftool to import an OVF, and then it uses vmrun -T ws to start the VM.  However, I would like to modify this either to create or convert the VM to be a shared VM, allowing it to auto-start without a user.  It is very simple to do through the UI:  Manage --> Share, but I want it to be hands-off for the user.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lkong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Welcome to VMware Workstation community!

The command "vmrun" can not create/convert the local VM to shared VM.

But there is another method to achieve to convert shared VM and auto-start it. The detailed steps as follows:

1. Copy your local VM to Shared VM Path, such as copy "c:\VMware\vm1\" to "c:\Users\Public\Documents\Shared Virtual Machines\".

2. Open the share vm config file "vmInventory.xml" in "c:\ProgramData\VMware\hostd" and add following lines to shared the vm(The red lines include your VM and VM's ID):

<ConfigEntry id="0002">

<objID>3</objID>

<vmxCfgPath>C:\Users\Public\Documents\Shared Virtual Machines\VM1\VM1.vmx</vmxCfgPath>

</ConfigEntry>

3. Open the shared VM config file "vmAutoStart.xml" in the same path and add/modify the following the lines to auto-start the shared VM, the object ID "3" should be same"

<AutoStartOrder>

<_length>1</_length>

<_type>vim.host.AutoStartManager.AutoPowerInfo[]</_type>

<e id="0">

<_type>vim.host.AutoStartManager.AutoPowerInfo</_type>

<key>

<_type>vim.VirtualMachine</_type>

<moid>3</moid>

</key>

<startAction>PowerOn</startAction>

<startDelay>-1</startDelay>

<startOrder>-1</startOrder>

<stopAction>GuestShutdown</stopAction>

<stopDelay>120</stopDelay>

<waitForHeartbeat>systemDefault</waitForHeartbeat>

</e>

</AutoStartOrder>

4. Restart host and then lanch WS, the VM will be shared and auto-start.   

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lkong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Welcome to VMware Workstation community!

The command "vmrun" can not create/convert the local VM to shared VM.

But there is another method to achieve to convert shared VM and auto-start it. The detailed steps as follows:

1. Copy your local VM to Shared VM Path, such as copy "c:\VMware\vm1\" to "c:\Users\Public\Documents\Shared Virtual Machines\".

2. Open the share vm config file "vmInventory.xml" in "c:\ProgramData\VMware\hostd" and add following lines to shared the vm(The red lines include your VM and VM's ID):

<ConfigEntry id="0002">

<objID>3</objID>

<vmxCfgPath>C:\Users\Public\Documents\Shared Virtual Machines\VM1\VM1.vmx</vmxCfgPath>

</ConfigEntry>

3. Open the shared VM config file "vmAutoStart.xml" in the same path and add/modify the following the lines to auto-start the shared VM, the object ID "3" should be same"

<AutoStartOrder>

<_length>1</_length>

<_type>vim.host.AutoStartManager.AutoPowerInfo[]</_type>

<e id="0">

<_type>vim.host.AutoStartManager.AutoPowerInfo</_type>

<key>

<_type>vim.VirtualMachine</_type>

<moid>3</moid>

</key>

<startAction>PowerOn</startAction>

<startDelay>-1</startDelay>

<startOrder>-1</startOrder>

<stopAction>GuestShutdown</stopAction>

<stopDelay>120</stopDelay>

<waitForHeartbeat>systemDefault</waitForHeartbeat>

</e>

</AutoStartOrder>

4. Restart host and then lanch WS, the VM will be shared and auto-start.   

0 Kudos
DrWho42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the advice.  I'm trying to implement this, but I'm running into an issue.  We need to change the Shared VM Path to be on a larger partition.  I found the datastores.xml config file that changes whenever I manually change the path in the Preferences panel.  However, if I try to change this file via code, it will always revert back the first time I restart the hostd service.

Any thoughts on how I can change the default Shared VM path?

Thanks,

Keith

0 Kudos
DrWho42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to close this loop:  we ended up changing the default path when we deploy VM Workstation.

0 Kudos