VMware Communities
tommyjs
Contributor
Contributor

Command Line Disk Mount Troubles

I am using Workstation 7.1.2 build 301548 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I am having difficulty mounting my virtual HDD (vmdk) from the command line. I have successfully mounted my virtual disks using the Workstation GUI:

I did find the disk mount utility created for Workstation 5.5 (VMware-mount-5.5.0-18463.exe)...

11223_11223.jpg

... but the install fails on my Windows 7 host, even when I use the Windows 7 compatibility options.

Am I missing something? Is anyone aware of a newer command utility for mounting my vmdks? A third party option? I need the process of mounting to be automated so doing this via scripting is a must.

Best Regards,

Tommy Scharmann

Industrial Automation and Controls

Message was edited by: tommyjs (screen capture display issue fixed)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

That tool is very outdated - for use with Windows 7 VM use the virtual disk development kit instead - see http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vddk/

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
tommyjs
Contributor
Contributor

The use of VM's is not my core job responsibilities. I am an industrial automation engineer (too busy to fiddle with that which is supposed to serve me, not the other way around Smiley Wink). Is there a quick way to accomplish the task of automating the VM maintenance in my original post... without developing an application? Is there a vbscript solution for managing a VM disk?

Regards,

Tommy

0 Kudos
tommyjs
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks continuum,

Your pointer to the VDDK did lead me to the vmware-diskmount utility that comes with the VDDK. I have since written a small script that solves my problems.

Regards,

Tommy Scharmann

0 Kudos