VMware Communities
nemo2k14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Combine/Merge/Resize two hard disks into one?

Hi there, I was wondering if someone could help me out. I created a new Windows 2008 R2 member server with an initial C: drive of 20 GB. I later had to install a program that required 30 GB of space so created a second disk on E: with 30 GB allocated to it. Unfortunately the program defaults its install to the C: drive and ended up running out of free disk to continue. Since the two disks are separate disks but still virtual in nature is there a way to merge them into one C: drive with a total of 50 GB of capacity?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nemo2k14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I didnt realize the machine has to be shutdown to expand the hard disk. The option to expand is greyed out when pausing the VM, this is where I ran into my problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm not familiar with a way to merge two virtual hard disks together... I imagine it could end up with messy even if there is a way...

A slightly different approach would be to increase / expand the C: virtual hard disk to what ever capacity you need and re-install the desired application...

Regards,

Dave.

0 Kudos
nemo2k14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Because the two partitions appear on two physical disks you cannot extend the C: drive via disk management. The two partitions must appear next to each other to extend them. How else can I go about increasing and expanding the c: virtual disk? If I can figure this out then problem solved!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From your initial post I understand that you created two virtual disks for the VM, so it should be possible to increase the first one in the VM's settings, and then increase the partition size in the guest's Disk Management.

André

0 Kudos
nemo2k14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I didnt realize the machine has to be shutdown to expand the hard disk. The option to expand is greyed out when pausing the VM, this is where I ran into my problem.

0 Kudos
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good to hear you've got the problem sorted now.

0 Kudos