VMware Communities
StuartUK37
Contributor
Contributor

Clone 3 servers and run in test environment on VMware workstation9 ??

Hey all, new to the forum and new to VMware, so hope you don't mind me asking for help Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Have got 3 servers (normal servers), and 1 beefy desktop machine & VMware Workstation 9.

I'd like to be able to clone the servers and run the 3 on the desktop VMware workstation machine.
Need the ability to run fail scenarios and test scenarios, so VMware seemed the ideal choice, I think ?!!

Not sure if I need to buy another piece of software to clone a server into a VMware machine ?
Is the above easy to do ? Main thing I want to do is clone my Exchange server so I can run that in a test virtual mode, look at ways of crashing it, so I know how to recover it, etc!

Cheers Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - No you do not need to buy any additional software - check out page 24 of http://www.vmware.com/pdf/desktop/ws90-using.pdf

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
StuartUK37
Contributor
Contributor

cheers for the reply, not quite what I am looking for......

I know about cloning a VM machine, I need to clone a physical machine, and then load that cloned computer into my VM Workstation.....
Need some guidance on that Smiley Happy
IE:  I'll start with cloning my file server first, then moving onto my exchange server...  Is it a case of having to install some software on the physical machines ? will they need rebooting before hand, etc.......

0 Kudos