VMware Communities
Tyler123146
Contributor
Contributor

Client on separate domain than host

This might seem like a simple question, but for a class I am setting up two servers, one that I have locally and one that is rented in another state. I was wondering if it would be possible to have my host machine on my local domain to communicate with my local server while having a client through vmware workstation be on the domain that has the out of state server so that the client could communicate with the server and log in under that domain. Any help is greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

Yes, you can do it but managing it in a post is really complicated. If I understand correctly, there are multiple configurations that come into play, vmware workstation, the operating system and Firewall rules to reach the other server in another domain. A trust domain must be created.

More information is needed to make an analysis.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
Tyler123146
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe this will help. The instate server is domain AAA, user1 and out of state server is domain BBB user2. Trust has been established between domain AAA and Domain BBB so user1 on domain AAA can see and transfer files to and from domain BBB. Example, user1 can be on domain AAA, do a run as different user on file manager, enter user2 credentials in the network authentication and access the directories in domain BBB.

The "client" system is on domain AAA with user1. That "client" is the one that is to have the VM installed on it. The VM will be able to log into domain BBB with user2. Then user1 will log in on domain AAA, start the VM as user2. User1 will have access to all directories in domain AAA on the "client" and access to all directories on domain BBB on the VM desktop.This will allow the user to work as user1, domain AAA on physical desktop and work as user2, domain BBB on VM desktop.

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

You have explained your problem well. I'm almost sure it can be done, I answer you more precisely during the day. I do a test and write to you if it worked.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos