VMware Communities
klaus999
Contributor
Contributor

Client network IP conflict problem

Hi to All,

My problem here:

OS client Message is "detecting an IP conflict" in Bridge mode and this cannot happen in my network.
The config was working well, long time 

Details:

VMWare WS 8.0.6 build-1035888

Host: Windows7 Professional, 64-bit 6.1.7601, Service Pack 1

Clients are diffrent with same behavior

Description:
I can’t remind exactly when this issue came up but my clients come up with an IP-Conflict in bridge mode.

What can happen: I’m the owner of this little network. IPSwitch  is my router. I am fully aware of my available
IP-Adresses

I have tried fixed IP addresses on client – no help

I have tried DHCP on client – no help

I have set the network host settings VMnet0 to automatic – no help

I have set the network host settings VMnet0 to the specific network adapter (wireless or cable) – no help

I have also reinstalled the workstation. -no help

Wondering is if I use bridge mode and DHCP for clients, VMWare client is collecting over
a time all free DHCP addresses from my router. I see in the router menu that
this client has reserved IP addresses and after a while nearly all DHCP once. I
have to delete the reserved addresses than manually in my router.

There is an attachment for a better imaging...

I did not had any problems over 3 years. The config has not changed in the VMsystem

Has somebody an idea what I can do? Or saw a similar problem?

Thanks

Klaus

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

klaus999 wrote:

Details:

VMWare WS 8.0.6 build-1035888

I did not had any problems over 3 years. The config has not changed in the VMsystem

You may not have had problems for over 3 years however things have changed because you say you're using VMware Workstation 8.0.6 and that was released on 03-14-2013 so obviously things have changed over the years! Smiley Wink

What was the original version the VM's were created in?  Probably some version of VMware Workstation 7.x and how many times did you update/upgrade WS and updated VMware Tools?  So changes have been made to virtual hardware version and VMware Tools and Guest OS updates over the years!  BTW No real need to answer these questions I've asked because it was just to put in perspective that things have indeed changed!

Since this behavior has started recently is it safe to assume that it started after the VMware Workstation 8.0.6 update?  There may be a bug in it that's causing this issue.  Anyway you'll need to manually release the DHCP IP Addresses in the Router if they are not aging out as they should.  Also it might be something wrong with your Router and I'd check to see if there are and Firmware updates for it.

0 Kudos
klaus999
Contributor
Contributor

Hi WoodyZ,
Thanks for help. Yes I've started originally with Version 5 on a different
host. There were not sooooo many VM updates since this time but lot’s of Win
updates. After trouble I have made a complete new install. On this I found an interfering
between my outlook and webmail from same exchange server, but that’s a different
theme.

Next, you suggest my router. I thought the same as well and I bought a new one with different
brand (from Speedport to Fritzbox). Now I still have the same behavior with the
new router. On this I assume the old and the new router are innocent. Firmware
are always the newest what I can find.

Regards,

Klaus

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If this is happing with multiple Routers then as I said before in regards to VMware Workstation 8.0.6, "There may be a bug in it that's causing this issue.".  So the only suggestion I have at the moment is try downgrading to VMware Workstation 8.0.5 and see if the issue persists.

0 Kudos
klaus999
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, I'm on this way now 🙂

0 Kudos
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you replicate one or more virtual machines by simply copying the fikes, thereby having multiple VMs with the same MAC address?

0 Kudos