VMware Communities
esxifreak
Contributor
Contributor

Clarification

Hi a||

I just want to make a clarification. If i have a dedicated graphics card(not onboard), will i able to use in the virtual machine. is it possible, if so can you please xplain me how to do that.

Many Thanks

KaDer

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Naki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Host OS is?? Guest OS is??

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I do not believe it is possible as the graphics card is virtualized and available for passthrough -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
smedina
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

NOT POSSIBLE sorry Smiley Happy as it seems to be but whats ur guest and host OS?

-- Sebastian Medina Carrillo Research and Development RMP Services USA tel: (305) 648 6457 tel: (573)15 329 6058 Twitter: @RMPServices Facebook: www.facebook.com/RMPSERVICES E-mail: smedina@rmpservices.com.co Website: www.rmpservices.com.co Skype: smedina.rmpservices whatsapp: 573153296058 Bogota-Colombia
0 Kudos
esxifreak
Contributor
Contributor

then

what is the best way to work with graphics

can any one suggest me.

Thanks

KaDer

0 Kudos
Naki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Your video card will work just fine, with 3D functions, if the Guest OS is at least Windows 2000 (98/Me won't work) and Host is Windows too.

You just have to enable Hardware acceleration in the VM settings.

Asking again, what is your Host OS? What is the Guest OS?
What app(s)/software/game(s) do you want to run that need(s) 3D?
Note that although 3D will work, it won't appear as an NVidia or ATI/AMD card, so you can't install the NVidia GeForce drivers or AMD/ATI Radeon video drivers.

weinstein, you are wrong. 3D will work fine, although not at the full speed of the videocard. And it won't appear as a NVidia or ATI/AMD card.

But other than that, it will function as a 3D card just fine. I am not sure it will support the latest DirectX and OpenGL standards, maybe not.

0 Kudos
Naki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what is the best way to work with graphics

What graphics?? Adobe Photoshop? Adobe Premiere? A 3D game? AutoCAD or another CAD program?
What exactly?

0 Kudos
esxifreak
Contributor
Contributor

Hi a||

My Scenario is this

VMware >> Windows2003 >> nComputing L300 Series

The End user will login to the one of our server using RDP and the client is resolution graphics is not good.

Can any one help me to sort it out.

Thanks

KaDer

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I am not sure what nComputing L300 Series is, but if it uses DirectX based graphics, then yes, WS can use the graphics adapter on your host to accelerate graphics. In your VM, go to VM Settings -> Hardware -> Display, and make sure the "Accelerate 3D graphics" checkbox is checked. Also, make sure you have the latest version of VMware Tools installed in the guest.

0 Kudos
esxifreak
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

Will check and come beyack here....

0 Kudos