VMware Communities
swisstonitechi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Clarification on VMNets please...

Hi there,

I'm after clarification on the VMNet settings in relation to VM Guests for VM Server and VM Workstation, prob a very simple question...;)

VMNet0 is as default set to auto bridge, Host to Guests. Is this the virtual network connection all guests use as bridged connections to any physical NIC on host that's on the same subnet? If you change to manual bridge and specify a physical teamed NIC on same subnet (on host), that will work fine yes? So comms between guests and infrastructure route via VMNet 0 settings if Guest configured for bridging?

VMNet1 is the private network between host and a guest (or guests) and doesn't route to outside infrastructure yes?

VMNet8 is for Nat'd setups for guest to Host, sharing the same IP?

Cheers for any assistance as I'm a little fuzzy on the setup.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

In both cases vmnet0 will be used, just assigning IP's different ways doesnt change the interface to talk..

Anil Gupta

Don’t fear changes, its constant in life, reduce your ecological footprint……………………..Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

Looking for a Virtualization Solution, look here.....

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

VMnet0 is used for bridging mode. Used to assign IP to guests in Brigding mode....similarly

VMnet1 is used for host only mode and

VMnet8 is used for the bridging mode.

Yes you can specify the custome settings as per your choice.

Anil Gupta

Don’t fear changes, its constant in life, reduce your ecological footprint……………………..Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

0 Kudos
swisstonitechi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Anil,

Thanks for the reply...

Just to clarify further (I like to "see" these things as physcial things):

So if Guest setup with Virtual NIC to bridge & static IP addressing set, it will route traffic via VMNet 8 to a physical Network card on Host within same Subnet?

If Guest setup with Virtual NIC to bridge & DHCP, it will get IP address and routing via VMNet 0 to a physical Network card on Host?

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

In both cases vmnet0 will be used, just assigning IP's different ways doesnt change the interface to talk..

Anil Gupta

0 Kudos
swisstonitechi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for that

0 Kudos
cdc1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Something else that might help with visualizing the network stuff in VMware Workstation is to think of those VMnet devices in the Virtual Network Editor as virtual switches. It helps for some ... doesn't for others.

0 Kudos
swisstonitechi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, its helps a little. I just need to study the whole VMWare subject in depth as at the moment I'm only tinkering...would like to do the exam also if comp will let me.

0 Kudos