VMware Communities
newborn1281
Contributor
Contributor

Check and change maximum space on VM and Host

I have two questions

1) Is it possible to check how much free space left on Host machine from VM machine Windows not VM application. (ex. may be some kind of command line utility)

2) Is it possible to change maximum size of VM Partition without reinstalling windows on VM?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>1) Is it possible to check how much free space left on Host machine from VM machine

Not sure exactly what you are asking here. Realize that your guest has no idea that it is not running on real hardware (IOW, it doesn't know it's a guest). So, treat it like another PC on your network. Anything you can do from a client-server network architecture, you can probably do here.

>2) Is it possible to change maximum size of VM Partition without reinstalling windows on VM?

Yes. Use the vmware-vdiskmanager utility (located in the Workstation folder) to expand the virtual disk's max. size. You will still need to run a disk partitioning utility inside the guest to use this newly created space!!

If you're on a Windows host, you can use my GUI wrapper for the disk manager utility - see my profile for website.

Rob

0 Kudos
newborn1281
Contributor
Contributor

In your utility I see only option of growing size I need to actually decrease it.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

The only way to decrease the max. size is to create a new, smaller virtual disk, attach it as a 2nd drive to your guest, and use disk imaging software (such as Ghost) to copy the drive to the new drive.

0 Kudos