VMware Communities
olbeggaols
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Changing version of OS W2k>W2k-sp4

Hello again,

Unless I have overlooked something, there is a gap in the documentation concerning changing the version of the OS of a VM. The documentation speaks of changing the version of the Virtual Machine, but it appears that this refers to the version of the Workstation on which the VM is installed (or so I construct the issue in my mind as a beginner without much familiarity with the terminology) or Upgrading the OS, as, for example, going from W98 to W2k. For the beginner with Workstation who wishes to update a Virtual Machine's OS, as would be the case I believe with any install of Windows 2000 from disk, this can be confusing and there is a great deal of fear and trembling where a quick note would ease the mind. There is no option in the original setup to choose Windows 2000 Pro sp4. The whole issue of installing updates to VM OSs seems to have been passed passed. So:

I seek confirmation that to upgrade the OS of a Windows 2000 Pro to Windows 2000 Pro SP4, all that is involved is Powering on the W2k VM, inserting and running the update disk. Is this correct? Is there any further updating of the tools needed?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No problem - and you don't have to do anything else to "close the issue."  Marking the question answered takes care of that.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

I seek confirmation that to upgrade the OS of a Windows 2000 Pro to Windows 2000 Pro SP4, all that is involved is Powering on the W2k VM, inserting and running the update disk. Is this correct? Is there any further updating of the tools needed?

Yes, this is correct.  You don't need to do anything with VMware Tools or the virtual hardware of the VM, to install SP4 in Windows.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
olbeggaols
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oops! I clicked "helpful answer" thinking to click "Correct answer" second, but it's gone. I have set "Yes, my question has been answered" on this reply. Hope that restores the credits.

0 Kudos
olbeggaols
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Brian, for the quick response.

Will close the issue in a minute.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No problem - and you don't have to do anything else to "close the issue."  Marking the question answered takes care of that.

0 Kudos
hafeezpashamoha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did this on our production platform for one of our client (though win2k is no longer on microsoft support but VMware supports OS)

download SP4 and run from VM and this should patch Win2000 Pro to SP4. 

olbeggaols
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Hafeez, good to know.

0 Kudos