VMware Communities
MRiley201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Changing from IDE to AHCI

I'm running Windows 10 on my host, and I'm using VMWare Workstation 12.5.9.  I have both Win 10 and Ubuntu guests.

I replaced an old HDD drive with a new SSD (both SATA).  Now I want to change from IDE to AHCI.

I plan to make these changes in my host machine:

How to Enable AHCI for SSD in Windows 10. - Microsoft Community

Do I need to make any changes in my guest machines?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The guests should not need any virtual hardware changes to run with the SSD on the host.

However you may want to consider making some changes to the guest operating systems to minimise unnecessary writes to the virtual disk. In the case of Windows 10 this would be things like disabling automatic defragmentation of the file system and disabling the Superfetch service. For Linux guests there are articles on the web giving recommendations on how to optimise Linux for use with an SSD.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The guests should not need any virtual hardware changes to run with the SSD on the host.

However you may want to consider making some changes to the guest operating systems to minimise unnecessary writes to the virtual disk. In the case of Windows 10 this would be things like disabling automatic defragmentation of the file system and disabling the Superfetch service. For Linux guests there are articles on the web giving recommendations on how to optimise Linux for use with an SSD.

0 Kudos