VMware Communities
gmb019
Contributor
Contributor

Change the boot menu key?

I've recently found that you can change the .vmx file with bios.bootDelay = "5000" to add a 5 second delay in booting to give yourself time to get into the boot menu, but having the ESC key as the boot menu key is very ridiculous, as if you hit it twice, you go in and right back out of the boot menu. I'd love to be able to change the key used to an F12 or something. Does anyone know if this can be done and how?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Zoid
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks this will help and it is Very Much Needed

Is there a way we can change the Esc key to another key such as F11where no matter how many times press the key it doesn't de-activate it.

Is there a list of all Worksation tweaks with a description of what each is for

Would use the knowledgebase but who wants to spend years trawling through that. Somewhere with all the tweaks known on one page. Someplace that is updated with each new version for new tweaks. Of course all tweaks have beside them which Workstation they work with

Such as..

Workstation  |                 Tweak                |  Action the tweak performs

All                 |  bios.bootDelay = "5000"  |  Makes bios wait "xxxx" hundreds of seconds before resuming boot. Allowing you to choose bios action F2, ESC, F12 so on

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik there's no option to re-define the ESC key.

A list of .vmx settings can be found at e.g.  http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-advanced.html

André

PS: You are welcome to create new discussions (rather than responding to 5 year old ones) Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Zoid
Contributor
Contributor

This forum layout stinks I press reply on your post to reply to it and posted teh reply. Then to be told it could do so and need to reply again. Back button didn't help for getting the post back Smiley Sad

That with no preview I think I may just not bother with replies and read or first post only. I'll never remember there is two reply buttons one works one that doesn't. That if this one does work.. that is !!

This forum is useless but I guess many people know that. So why isn't it changed to be better than what it is now. Or make it by setting the forum settings so the forum is better for us

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure what your problem is however I have no problems replying to whatever and do not get any errors.  Also, you shouldn't need a Preview since what's displayed in the editor is what it should look like when posted.

0 Kudos
oaks
Contributor
Contributor

+1 for an option to change the boot menu key to something other than "esc"

0 Kudos