VMware Communities
leorajan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CentOS requirement to install VMware WS7

Hi,

I would like to install VMware workstation 7 (64-Bit) on my new Dell server. I am planning to install CentOS 5.4 (64-Bit) on my new server as an operating system.

Could some one please let me know the required CentOS related packages to install Workstation 7 in CentOS 5.4?

Thanks

Leo

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It should work fine with CentOS 5.4, just be sure to install all the kernel dev items. I've encountered that issue before, but it was also under the VMware Server product.

I think you'll have less headaches running ESXi4 on that box. If the server really is a server, then you won't have any issue (or shouldn't) installing ESXi. I'm running ESXi on a Dell Precision Workstation T7400 without issue. With the dual, quad core Xeon processors it handles everything I need it to do. My biggest trouble is making sure I don't run too low on RAM for the VM's. With 16GB, I can run 8-10 servers before I start hitting 75% usage (or higher).

The bonus of not having yet another OS to patch when running ESXi would mean less administration on your end too. Just keep an eye on the updates for ESXi and you'll be fine. I would set up one LUN for ESXi to reside on, and then use the balance for your VM's. If you have a RAID controller within that system (which you should), then just make two logical volumes, using the smaller one for ESXi. No need to go beyond the 60-75GB mark there.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

With a new Dell server, why not install ESXi4 onto it? You know, the version available for free... That way you get the most out of the server resources and won't need to worry about the host OS taking up resources. With ESXi you'll have the console to connect to that server from any of your regular systems to build VM's and administrate it fully.

leorajan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Golddiggie,

I agree with you. Thanks for your reply. Incase if you know the requirement please let me know.

Regards

Leo

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It should work fine with CentOS 5.4, just be sure to install all the kernel dev items. I've encountered that issue before, but it was also under the VMware Server product.

I think you'll have less headaches running ESXi4 on that box. If the server really is a server, then you won't have any issue (or shouldn't) installing ESXi. I'm running ESXi on a Dell Precision Workstation T7400 without issue. With the dual, quad core Xeon processors it handles everything I need it to do. My biggest trouble is making sure I don't run too low on RAM for the VM's. With 16GB, I can run 8-10 servers before I start hitting 75% usage (or higher).

The bonus of not having yet another OS to patch when running ESXi would mean less administration on your end too. Just keep an eye on the updates for ESXi and you'll be fine. I would set up one LUN for ESXi to reside on, and then use the balance for your VM's. If you have a RAID controller within that system (which you should), then just make two logical volumes, using the smaller one for ESXi. No need to go beyond the 60-75GB mark there.

0 Kudos
leorajan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your response.

My only server is Dell T300 (12GB/ 2NIC / 3 160GB internal HDs). I would like to test the vSphere. The idea here is create 2 ESXi (VMs) using WS and then test all the vSphere options using vCenter. Do you think this will work for me?

I hope I can do this with in 60 days trial period.

Regards,

Leo

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You're making it far too complicated on yourself... Just install ESXi onto the server, keep it as the demo license, so you have everything available, until you can either use a production license, or get the free one (from VMware)...

Installing CentOS first, then WS7, then ESXi makes for a lot of lost resources that you would take advantage of otherwise.

leorajan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I agree with your comments on resource usage but I don't know how else I can test the vCenter without doing it in my way. Could you please (if you have time) explain how I can achieve my testing vCenter options using 2 ESXi VMs in a single physical server?

BTW, how I can get one more demo license key (or get extended) in case if I run out of time with existing demo key?

Thanks again.

Leo

0 Kudos
leorajan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear Gold Diggie,

I got your message. Thanks. I will let you know.

I did successfully installed ESXi 4.0 under WS7. I also downloaded the vcenter client on my /tmp. When I am trying to install I am getting the following error.

#./VMware-viclient.exe

VMware-viclient.exe: Cannot execute binary file

I also changed the mode to 777 on this file and tried to execute... Still the same error. What I am doing wrong?

Please help.

Leo

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

vCenter server has to be on a Windows Server. I've not looked to see if the client can run on Linux, or if it also needs to be on a Windows system.

You should know, exe files are Windows specific.

0 Kudos