VMware Communities
kstatinet
Contributor
Contributor

Caps Lock not working after upgrade to 15.5.5 build-16285975 yesterday

CAPS lock button stopped working after upgrade to 15.5.5 build-16285975 yesterday.

After upgrade CAPS Lock stopped to work in VMWare Workstation Pro for Windows 10 Pro.

It looks there was a similar issue with earlier versions of the software and NO resolution from VMWare.

Caps lock always turn on after switching from Windows 10 Virtual Machine to Host

If not in VMWare, CAPS lock work without problem. When starting VMs (Mint, Kali, Win Server 2012, etc), the caps button works just before clicking on any field and then I can only type in CAPS locks even though CAPS locks button is turned off.

1. added Enhanced keyboard feature that I skipped during installation - no change

2. I went through Repair install - no change. 

Laptop - Thinkpad T490 with all the latest software/device drivers/bios etc.

Would downgrade solve the issue?

If yes, could you please send a link to downgrade back to 15.5

Thank you

23 Replies
dencoboy
Contributor
Contributor

I installed 15.5.6 today in hopes of fixing the *LOCK issue, but 15.5.6 still has issues with this for me (without the mks.win32.useInjectedMagic=FALSE workaround).

Host: Windows 10.0.18363.836; HP Z240 Workstation; Xeon E3-1225 v5 @ 3.30Ghz, 32GB RAM, 3 monitors connected to integrated video ports.

Guest1: Windows 10.0.18363.815

Guest2: Windows 10.0.18363.815

All three systems have Toggle Keys enabled.  When I'm on a host screen it seems to work fine, and one of the VMs works fine, but I get double-beeps when switching CAPSLOCK on the second VM.  It seems to come and go, but I haven't figured out what the pattern is to be able to reproduce it on demand.

I originally upgraded from 15.1.0 last week, and I don't recall it having this issue.  I've have now downgraded from 15.5.6 to 15.5.2 and it also has this issue, but I'm hoping that it doesn't have the sluggish video performance of 15.5.5.  For me 15.5.2, 15.5.5, and 15.5.6 all have issues related to this.

0 Kudos
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This is interesting new data - keyboard problems in 15.5.2 (nobody reported this recently).

15.5.6 still has issues with this for me (without the mks.win32.useInjectedMagic=FALSE workaround)

Just to clarify, does the workaround actually work? And for which WS versions?

Also, do all other guest functionalities (drag-drop, shared folders, networking etc) work OK?

0 Kudos
Eugen1
Contributor
Contributor

I got into this thread because my mouse was not working in my VM. It grabs focus but there is no click functionality.

I believe the issue started after I accidentally ejected a USB hub instead of the USB drive from the VM machine. So following the posts on this thread I found this line :

usb_xhci.present = "FALSE"

and changed it to :

usb_xhci.present = "TRUE"

and it worked for me.

0 Kudos
David0121
Contributor
Contributor

My issue is fixed by changing Advanced key settings on your computer.

0 Kudos