VMware Communities
greylupi
Contributor
Contributor

Caps Lock Issues With Upgrade

Good day,

I updated, then tried re-installing the software. Caps is acting weird.

I will type anything and it will be in lower case. *Press CAPS LOCK" and text does change to upper case; however, it will not revert back to lower case when pressing CAPS LOCK again.

Even weirder is when i keep a keypress held down it will pop in a lower case letter randomly (i.e.: DDDDDDDDDDDdDDDDDDdDDDDDDDDDDDDDd)

Is there a way to revert to a previous version of workstation ? or any fix for this ?

Thank you.

47 Replies
d4rckh
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, will wait. While then I found a temporary solution which was posted by justaguy above. I want to add that you can do this also:

setxkbmap -option caps:none # (disable the caps lock key)

xdotool key Caps_Lock # (toggle caps lock)

From now you can use SHIFT to write upper case letters

givemeatip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wow, with all these issues with 15.5.5 being reported, I'm starting to get grateful that I wasn't able to make this 15.5.5 update install here, lol. For details, see my thread: Unable to install update 15.5.5

Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It's not deterministically certain that the problems would happen to your installation too. Everybody's PC is a different beast. There are some 10-20 complaints out of several thousands of users (some Moderator please provide us some estimate of the # of Workstation users Smiley Happy) and in my humble opinion this is an admirable level of product quality control.

0 Kudos
givemeatip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mits2020

Correct, but in this case, I'm now experiencing the same bug with caps lock after finally installing the 15.5.5 update after following the instructions, lol

0 Kudos
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am lost in this thread - too many tips and instructions... For future reference, could you please clarify what exactly you did that enabled you to install 15.5.5?

0 Kudos
givemeatip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mits2020

In that other thread, I managed to install 15.5.5 following the instructions of haiweiz. I selected his answer as the "correct" in that thread. Unable to install update 15.5.5

0 Kudos
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Great! He beat me for some minutes while I was writing the same suggestion... Glad to mark this as solved!

altae
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On Linux there is a somewhat decent workaround. I placed a script in autostart that disables Caps Lock on startup using the command "setxkbmap -option caps:none". With Caps Lock disabled there is now no risk of accidentally pressing it. I then placed another script on my desktop which manually toggles Caps Lock using the command "xdotool key Caps_Lock". This way I can invoke Caps Lock if needed by simply double clicking the script on my desktop.

0 Kudos
banackm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We're aware of the problem are are looking into it internally.

In the meantime, you might be able to work-around the caps-lock issues by setting the config option:

mks.win32.useInjectedMagic=FALSE

In either your VM's vmx file or your per-user config file.

altae
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For me the workaround fixes both issues, Caps Lock and Num Lock. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
d4rckh
Contributor
Contributor

Is this only for windows? Because I see win32 mentioned. I don't have this problem on windows, only in linux guests.

0 Kudos
banackm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As far as I know the issue only hits Windows hosts, and that's what the config option is affecting.

I've only seen this reported for Linux guests, although I suspect Windows guests may also be affected, just much less frequently.

d4rckh
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, my host is windows 10, and I only see the problem with linux guests

0 Kudos
d4rckh
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, your fix worked! Thank you so much :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
george_beyond
Contributor
Contributor

Had to move two VMs to VirtualBox as well until this is resolved.

0 Kudos
d4rckh
Contributor
Contributor

You don't need to, just add this to your vm config file as @bm said above

mks.win32.useInjectedMagic=FALSE

0 Kudos
v3rlly
Contributor
Contributor

It worked for me. thanks !

after changing the vmx file i restarted my host machine.

vmware workstation 15.5.5

guest OS: kali linux 2020.1b

d4rckh
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't need to restart my host Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
george_beyond
Contributor
Contributor

Changing the file and rebooting the host worked as well thanks.

manniongeo
Contributor
Contributor

I'm adding one more symptom that I haven't seen reported in this thread so far:

• My CTRL-G / CTRL-ALT key combinations don't work, either, whenever the CAPS LOCK issue occurs

My host is Windows, guest is Linux, and Workstation version is 15.5.5.

In my instance, either all of these keys work, or they all don't work. Because of that correlation, I suspect that they're related to the same root cause.