VMware Communities
Yaytube
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cant start VM on VMware Workstation 12.1.0

Host machine is W2008R2, VM is the same. When im trying to start current VM i see VMware loading screen, then "Downloadin files" screen, then VMware loading screen again and etc.

Log file is attached below.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

A firmware update certainly might help.  After installing the firmware update, it may be worthwhile following the motherboard's instructions to reset the firmware configuration to defaults (if its configuration isn't too heavily customized), and then reconfigure it with any custom settings you might need.  Double-check that you've got TXT disabled in your firmware settings too... that'll block us from using the host's VT-x capabilities.  And, in case there is any doubt, the error message really isn't kidding about power-cycling... Some systems can't put a VT-x configuration change into effect without being truly disconnected from power for a moment, so if in doubt, power it down and pull the power plug out for a few seconds.

Your CPUs are certainly VT-x capable and support all the VT-x features required by VMware Workstation... You just need to coerce the system into allowing the use of VT-x and then it should start working nicely.

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Windows 2008 R2 is a 64-bit operating system, but your VM and your host are not properly configured for 64-bit operation.  You'll need to do a few things to get it to work.  Firstly, set the guest OS type correctly.  In the VM's settings, under the Options tab, choose Microsoft Windows and then Windows Server 2008 R2 x64.

The virtual machine will probably still fail to power on, but you might get a more meaningful error in your vmware.log.  It will probably tell you to go into your host system BIOS/firmware settings and enable VT-x there.  Follow those instructions, and hopefully you will be able to run your Windows Server 2008 R2 VM.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Yaytube
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answer, Darius. You was right, after settings i got this error:

"

This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible.

This host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled.

Intel VT-x might be disabled if it has been disabled in the BIOS/firmware settings or the host has not been power-cycled since changing this setting.

(1) Verify that the BIOS/firmware settings enable Intel VT-x and disable 'trusted execution.'

(2) Power-cycle the host if either of these BIOS/firmware settings have been changed.

(3) Power-cycle the host if you have not done so since installing VMware Workstation.

(4) Update the host's BIOS/firmware to the latest version.

For more detailed information, see http://vmware.com/info?id=152."

I check BIOS settings for Intel VT-x and it was enabled.. Then, i tryed Oracle VBox and got similar error about VT-x. I have 2 Intel Xeon 5405 CPU mounted to Intel S5000VSA motherboard, the CPU supports Vt-x, and i think the problem is motherboard's BIOS. Will try to upgrade it and test again, thanks.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

A firmware update certainly might help.  After installing the firmware update, it may be worthwhile following the motherboard's instructions to reset the firmware configuration to defaults (if its configuration isn't too heavily customized), and then reconfigure it with any custom settings you might need.  Double-check that you've got TXT disabled in your firmware settings too... that'll block us from using the host's VT-x capabilities.  And, in case there is any doubt, the error message really isn't kidding about power-cycling... Some systems can't put a VT-x configuration change into effect without being truly disconnected from power for a moment, so if in doubt, power it down and pull the power plug out for a few seconds.

Your CPUs are certainly VT-x capable and support all the VT-x features required by VMware Workstation... You just need to coerce the system into allowing the use of VT-x and then it should start working nicely.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Another thing: Have you verified your system board's revision number against Intel's compatibility list for that processor?  Hardware and Software Requirements for Intel® Server Boards and...

It would appear that the S5000VSA series is one of many series of system boards with rather specific compatibility requirements relevant for your Xeon E5405 processors.  If you haven't already done so, you'll need to check the Printed Board Assembly (PBA) revision as well as the firmware revision.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Yaytube
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

PBA is E11003-202 and BIOS version is S5000.86B.15.00.0101.110920101604, so its ok. Before BIOS upgrade, i turned off and pull power plug, then pushed power button and wait a bit. It works for me! So decided to not flash BIOS. Thank you Darius, for fast and useful help! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos