VMware Communities
T15K6
Contributor
Contributor

Cant boot after removing usb windows isntalator

hello, installed windows 7 x64 with USB with (Use a Physical Disk option)  after that i want make snapshot but button is unclickable Gray color after this i remove that USB from wmvare settings and now i can make snapshot but after restarting or shutdown i cant boot in wvmare windows

0 Kudos
51 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@T15K6 

Moderator: Please state which VMware product you are using.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
T15K6
Contributor
Contributor

@scott28tt

VMware Workstation 15 Pro

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@T15K6 

Moderator: Moved to Workstation Pro Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
T15K6
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

0 Kudos
Keebller
Contributor
Contributor

If the computer boots into Ubuntu automatically without showing the GRUB menu at all, sometimes you can press the manufacturer's BIOS/UEFI key at boot time and while in UEFI or BIOS mode from the firmware menus select the operating system you need. Common keys used are Esc, Delete, F1, F2, F10, F11, or F12. On tablets, common buttons are Volume up or Volume down.

JCPenney Kiosk

0 Kudos
T15K6
Contributor
Contributor

here is not ubuntu i install windows 7 x64 on vmware workstation pro with USB physical drive after removing USB physical drive windows cant boot with his virtual HDD

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Please be more precise: if you installed a Windows VM into a "physical disk" and then remove that device - the VM will obviosly fail to boot !
Anyway - have you tried to fix the bootorder in the virtual BIOS / EFI ?

0 Kudos
T15K6
Contributor
Contributor

@continuum

hey no i use physical USB flash drive when installing Windows 7 x64 on VMware workstation after install i want make snapshot to save clean windows but button is unclickable "gray color" and one way is to fix this remove USB flash drive with windows installation from settings.
When i remove this and restard windows can't boot

image_2021-02-07_032047.png

0 Kudos
T15K6
Contributor
Contributor

wtf.PNG

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Have you adjusted bootorder ?

Ulli

0 Kudos
T15K6
Contributor
Contributor

@continuum

do you mean from bios?  Yes

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

... and ?
What exactly do you mean with "VM does not boot" ?

Ulli

0 Kudos
T15K6
Contributor
Contributor

@continuum

Windows not boot

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

🤣😁that was funny.

Here is another joke.
Doctor: How can I help you ? - whats wrong ?
Patient: I am ill
Doctor: Can you tell me where the pain is ? - headache. belly, heart, teeth .. ?
Patient: Me ill
Doctor: Next one please

Windows not boot ?

Can you at least tell us the color of the screen when that happens ?
No screen, VMware-logo-screen, , Bluescreen , black with blinking cursor , .... ?

This is an important detail for troubleshooting and "doesn't work" simply is not good enough.

Ulli

0 Kudos
T15K6
Contributor
Contributor

@continuum  i just cant boot in windows after i remove USB flash drive with which I installed windows 7 on VMware

123123123.PNG

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

you try to boot from network

switch to boot from scsi0:0 instead

0 Kudos
T15K6
Contributor
Contributor

@continuum 

image_2021-02-07_233504.png

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@T15K6 

Did you install Windows to the USB disk which you have now removed from the VM? That would result in the behaviour you are experiencing where the 60GB virtual disk which remains as part of the VM is blank.

0 Kudos
T15K6
Contributor
Contributor

no i install windows on virtual 60GB HDD

0 Kudos