VMware Communities
anup_bcrec1986
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory || EFI variables are not supported on this system

Hi Team,

I have successfully  installed 16.1.1 build-17801498 on my tumbleweed OS. But when I power on the VM getting below error "Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory.
Please make sure that the kernel module `vmmon' is loaded."   

Failed to initialize monitor device.

Unable to change virtual machine power state: Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken.

I follow the below steps & still sticking on mokutil .... is their any alternative for mokutil as it is EFI error showing/ How to proceed ...

mokutil --import MOK.der
EFI variables are not supported on this system

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Steps I followed ++++++++++++

/etc/init.d/vmware restart
Stopping VMware services:
  VMware Authentication Daemon                                        done
  Virtual machine monitor                                             done
Starting VMware services:
  Virtual machine monitor                                            failed
  Virtual machine communication interface                             done
  VM communication interface socket family                            done
  Virtual ethernet                                                   failed
  VMware Authentication Daemon                                        done

sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

openssl req -new -x509 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout MOK.priv -outform DER -out MOK.der -nodes -days 365
00 -subj "/CN=VMware/"

sudo  /usr/src/linux-5.12.0-2-obj/x86_64/default/scripts/sign-file sha256 ./MOK.priv ./MOK.der $(modinfo -n vmmon)
sudo  /usr/src/linux-5.12.0-2-obj/x86_64/default/scripts/sign-file sha256 ./MOK.priv ./MOK.der $(modinfo -n vmnet)
mokutil --import MOK.der
EFI variables are not supported on this system

@anup_bcrec1986@yahoo.co.in  --Kindly help me.

5 Replies
andreaplanet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here after kernel upgrade, could not find a quick solution. At the moment I default boot into 5.11, so I can continue to use Workstation, but after each boot I have to run sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all. Probably a patch for the VMWare kernel modules will fix this.

P.S. Technically only Leap is officially supported...

0 Kudos
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You certainly don't have to rebuild the modules after each reboot. Most likely this is because `/etc/init.d/vmware` script is not executed on boot for some reason. Some people reported this kind of problem when they did not have chkconfig command installed when the VMware Workstation was installed (apparently it is no longer part of `aaa_base` package in Tumbleweed and is not installed by default). If that is the case, it should suffice to install chkconfig and enable the script manually.

0 Kudos
andreaplanet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the suggestion. Before upgrading to 5.12 the vmware modules where started correctly at each boot, also reported by journalctl.
I was waiting for a fix for 5.12 before digging further into this. Ok sudo /etc/init.d/vmware start will start the service.

chkconfig seems to be gone definitively...
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/553507-chkconfig-command-is-gone

0 Kudos
andreaplanet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After installing the newest VMWare 16.1.2 released today, it works with Kernel 5.12.

At first, I got the error "Installation was unsuccessful", then after running it with --console --ignore-errors it worked:

sudo ./VMware-Workstation-Full-16.1.2-17966106.x86_64.bundle --console --ignore-errors

0 Kudos
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@andreaplanet wrote:

chkconfig seems to be gone definitively...
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/553507-chkconfig-command-is-gone

Well, that's just sad... but that's how openSUSE works these days (or rather years).

0 Kudos