VMware Communities
dm3000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot open VM in workstation 15 after upgrade

I downloaded the vmware workstation 15 pro trial and updated at vmware 14 vm.

Attempting to connect, I get

""VMware Workstation cannot connect to the virtual machine. Make sure you have rights to run the program, access all directories the program uses, and access all directories for temporary files. Failed to connect pipe to virtual machine: The system cannot find the file specified."

I tried running as admin and  reinstalling workstation 15 from scratch but still get the error.

I downgraded the vm to version 14 and installed workstation 14 and was able to load the vm (thankfully).

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dm3000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to resolve the problem by repairing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable

in control panel - uninstall a program.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please attach the ui log (you can get ui log location from Help > About VMware Workstation 15 Pro > UI log file).

0 Kudos
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, dm3000:

Based on your log, it show the vmx process can not be launched. Would you mind collect support data for us to continue diagnostic?

Please select the "Windows 10 Demo 2" virtual machine as the "collected data" when the UI ask for.

Thanks your support.

0 Kudos
dm3000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to resolve the problem by repairing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable

in control panel - uninstall a program.

haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Glad to know it. Thank you.

0 Kudos
psiess
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

THANK YOU!  I was struggling with this and your solution solved my problem.

0 Kudos