VMware Communities
cam_macdonell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot move VM from VMware Fusion to Workstation

Hi,

When I try to open a VM created with VMware Fusion under VMware Workstation on Linux, I get the following error.

Invalid configuration file: File "CentOS 4.4 64-bit.vmx" was created by a VMware product with more features than this version of VMware Workstation and cannot be used with this version of VMware Workstation.

Cannot open configuration file CentOS 4.4 64-bit.vmx.

Are VMs from VMware Fusion not compatible with WS? If so, will this change with WS v. 6.0?

I am using version WS v.5.5.3.

Thanks,

Cam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The virtual machine created with Fusion has a newer version of virtual hardware that is not compatible WS 5.x. This virtual machine can be run using VMware Workstation 6. You can also use the VMware Workstation 6 feature "Change version" to download the virtual hardware of this VM to be compatible with WS 4.x or WS 5.x

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I believe Fusion is built on the 6.0 codebase. You could upgrade to 6 and try it, or maybe use the converter to change from a 6.0 to a 5.x VM.

mike

mike
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The virtual machine created with Fusion has a newer version of virtual hardware that is not compatible WS 5.x. This virtual machine can be run using VMware Workstation 6. You can also use the VMware Workstation 6 feature "Change version" to download the virtual hardware of this VM to be compatible with WS 4.x or WS 5.x

0 Kudos