VMware Communities
Gadgetgeek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot mount ISO images in VMware Workstation 8

I had successfully used VMware Workstation 7 to boot virtual machines using an ISO image, but since installing Workstation 8 I am no longer able to. When I open the virtual machine settings, I set the CD/DVD to connect at power on, use an ISO image, and browse to find the ISO.

set.jpg

If I immediately click Edit Virtual Machine Settings again, I find that the radio button is set back to Use physical drive and the ISO is no longer selected. Nothing I do will let the ISO setting stick.

reset.jpg

I am working with a virtual machine that has not been upgraded to the latest version because my intention is to move back to an ESX 4 server. Does anyone have any ideas? I want to be able to do offline maintenance on virtual machines and should be able to boot to an ISO image.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

I noticed something similar here
if necessary edit the vmx-file directly - that is reliable.

Here is an example:

ide0:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
ide0:0.fileName = "G:\esxi-rescue-ws8-icewm-x-00011.iso"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

0 Kudos
Gadgetgeek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great idea, but doesn't work. I edited the VMX file with Notepad++ and added the full path to the ISO file. Once I loaded into VMware Workstation it reset the device back to "Use physical drive". The VMX file still has this information, even though Workstation doesn't show it:

ide1:0.present = "true"
ide1:0.fileName = "C:\VMware Virtual Machines\ISO\gparted-live-0.9.0-7.iso"
ide1:0.deviceType = "atapi-cdrom"
ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

I seem to have resolved it, however, by deleting the CD-ROM device from the virtual machine and adding it manually back in. Now the ISO file setting sticks. When I did that, it added the hardware on ide0 rather than ide1:

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "C:\VMware Virtual Machines\ISO\gparted-live-0.9.0-7.iso"
ide0:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
ide0:0.autodetect = "TRUE"

Thank you!

Geoff

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you please repro the issue, and upload support data when it happens (or just the UI log file)? You should find the UI log file in %temp%\vmware-<username>.

0 Kudos
Gadgetgeek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sure. I can recreate this at-will.

I've been downloading virtual machines from my ESX servers. These folders are placed on my desktop. I am opening the VMX file directly from this folder.  After mounting, I open the CD-ROM settings, set the ISO file. See the Problem Steps Recorder file for an exact step-by-step.

Also included are the logs you requested and the actual VMX file just for good measure.

Geoff

0 Kudos
JJoel42
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am not seeing the same thing on my installation of WS8.  The ISO image file is staying set.   Can other people try this and see if they encounter this bug?  Please provide the UI logs as requested above.

0 Kudos
Gadgetgeek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is the VMX file after I have removed and then re-added the CD-ROM device.

0 Kudos
Gadgetgeek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jason. You posted right after I had posted the files you requested. I just wanted to make sure you saw that all the logs and relevant have been uploaded.

Geoff

0 Kudos
jpdon
Contributor
Contributor

I had this same issue with Workstation 8 when I ran under a different user account that the install account.  I was able to correct it by going into the VM settings then adding another CD drive to the VM with the desired ISO image. The VM got booted and verified that the ISO image was mounted. After shutting down the VM and removing the added drive all was back to normal.

vm-settings.gif

0 Kudos