VMware Communities
varnk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot install Workstation 16 update - VMWare Authorization Service could not be installed

I have been trying to install the 16.1.2 update to my VMWare Workstation and part way through the install, the update fails with the following message:

Capture.PNG

Once this occurs, my installation of VMWare no longer works.  I have to reboot the machine and manually install the previous version 16.1.1, reboot, then do a repair install, and reboot again.  After doing that, the update still fails with the same error when I use the update menu option in Workstation.

What is causing this to occur and is VMWare going to fix it?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
varnk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For what it's worth, the workaround for this issue is to not install updates using the VMWare Workstation built-in update menu selection.  Instead, go to the VMWare site and download the full installer for the update and run it manually.

VMWare really needs to fix this issue!

0 Kudos
RussDaHill
Contributor
Contributor

If you go to Settings->Apps then select VMware Workstation, then click on the Modify button, MSI install wizard will appear. Click next, followed by repair and the MSI will repair the broken install. Reboot and voilà, your VMware workstation is working again. 

0 Kudos
varnk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That sort of works, but it still doesn't solve the issue of why launching the update through Workstation causes the install to fail.  The only way to get the update to install is to download the installer manually, install it, then do a repair install after it is installed.  Seems like something is broken in the installation process when running the upgrade through Workstation.

0 Kudos
callen_v1
Contributor
Contributor

I wish this worked but it doesn't.  And a year later, it's still broken...

JYerdon
Contributor
Contributor

Downloaded the 16.2.4 full installation package & attempted upgrade.  Still broken for me too.

0 Kudos