VMware Communities
sasuke1234
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot install VMware Workstation 6.5.0 118116 on Ubuntu 8.04

Hi everyone,

I failed installing VMware Workstation 6.5.0 118116 on Ubuntu 8.04 from a .deb package.

Here is what I've done:

sudo dpkg -i vmware-workstation_6.5.0-118166_i386.deb

and I got some messages as follow:

"...158943 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to replace vmware-workstation 6.5.0-118166 (using vmware-workstation_6.5.0-118166_i386.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement vmware-workstation ...

Setting up vmware-workstation (6.5.0-118166) ...

Extracting VMware Installer...done.

You must accept the EULA to continue. Press enter to proceed..."

I then accepted the EULA and the installation process continued until it reached:

"Installing VMware Installer 1.0

Copying files...

Configuring...

Installing VMware Player 2.5.0

Copying files...

Configuring...

Installing VMware VIX API 1.6.1

Copying files...

Configuring...

Copying files...

Configuring...

Copying files...

Configuring...

"

and it just hangs there. I waited more than 2 hours but nothing happened. I rolled back the process and reinstalled it but the result was the same.

There must be something wrong with my machine. Please help me to find out the problem.

Thank you very much for reading my topic. Any responses would be much appreceated.

Sasuke.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>>I waited more than 2 hours but nothing happened

I admire your patience Smiley Happy

Maybe not too much help, but I have installed various versions of WS on Ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04 but never with the deb. I have always used the tar or bundle.

I would suggest:

Download the latest version 6.5.3 (or at least 6.5.2), the bundle file which is a shell script. Make it executable and run it as sudo.

Make sure you have the gcc compiler and kernel sources installed (sudo apt-get install build-essentials)

Lou

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the forums.

As Lou stated, the bundle is the way to go. If you haven't, make sure to check out the Ubuntu Community documentation for installing Workstation as well.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos