VMware Communities
PeterEvans59
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cannot install VMware Workstation 11.1.1 on Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit - please help

Want to install VMware Workstation 11.1.1 on new Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit PC.

I had VMware Workstation 11.1.0, and the installer removed the original version but will not complete the install of the new version

The installer gets about 2/3 way (progress bar) and then hangs, Windows event viewer says installer has hung.

Tried running without firewall and AV on, still won't install same issue

Ran the installer with /clean option and then tried again but still it will not complete the installation process (hangs at the same place)

Noticed in Task Manager that VMware installer is running at about 14% CPU, but nothing is happening

I am really at a loss as to why I cannot install VMware Workstation 11.1.1, all other soft\ware installs fine.

Please could someone help me out?

Thanks

Peter

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterEvans59
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ran Windows Update Troubleshooter

It fixed a number of things

I could then install VMware Workstation

No idea though why the installer got itself into that state

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PeterEvans59
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In Win Event log it says:

Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148 -- Error 1704.An installation for VMware Workstation is currently suspended.  You must undo the changes made by that installation to continue.  Do you want to undo those changes?

How do I clear this issue as no question is visible on the installer screens?

Is there a way the installer can be run manually from CMD so I can see the question and respond to it?  Then hopefully the install will complete?

0 Kudos
PeterEvans59
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ran Windows Update Troubleshooter

It fixed a number of things

I could then install VMware Workstation

No idea though why the installer got itself into that state

0 Kudos