VMware Communities
Aztec02
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot install VMWare Workstation

when i try to install i get the 1406 Error: Could not write value InstallPath to key\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware Converter Hosted. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key. could someone please help me. thanxs. oh and its for windows.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
accessory
Contributor
Contributor

What is your host OS? Are you installing as an Administrator?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Uninstall - reboot.

Next log in as admin and create the key

HKLM\Software\VMware Inc.

yourself manually - make sure admin-account and System-account have full access to HKLM\SAM, HKLM\SECURITY and HKLM|Software\VMware Inc.

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
lightningbit
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar issue/error

I was installing VMware infrasturcture client 2.5.0 on a Windows vista Ultimate (32bit) , as an administrative user

after reading this discussion, the consensus seems to be towards a registry access/write issue.

So I did some troubleshooting/testing there :

• I didn't stop the installation, while I was doing the below, I kept the install on the error where it complained about not being able to write the regkey, with the options CANCEL/IGNORE/RETRY

• setting/resetting/changing the permissions on the key /SOFTWARE/VMware, Inc. through regedit did not work, adding a subkey didn't work either (permission denied), however, renaming the key DID work

• now because the only other vmware tool I had installed on this machine was the vmware remote console

• I RENAMED the /VMware, Inc. key to VMware, Inc. old

• and then clicked "RETRY" on the installation error message ............... the install continued without issues, and I saw immediately a new /VMware, Inc. regkey appearing in the registgry, with all subkeys

I hope this helps some of you, having similar issues

Olivier

0 Kudos
itsme2003
Contributor
Contributor

Deleting the key then letting the install add it back did the trick. Thanks for the tip.

0 Kudos