VMware Communities
christmaslunch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot install VMWare Workstation 15 due to prior corrupted install

Hi,

Apologies in advance, as this will likely hurt your brain... I previously had VMware workstation 12 installed to my 😧 drive. I had mistakenly improperly removed the files for the program simply by deleting the directory in Program Files (x86) which subsequently left numerous pointers to the old location scattered around my computer (yes I know this was stupid). Since then, I have replaced the hard drive, and assigned a new drive letter to the replacement drive (it is now J:).

Fast-forward to this week; I am trying to install VMware Workstation 15 to my new J: drive, however due to pre-existing pointers left all over my machine, the installer keeps trying to look for the old version of the software and terminating the installer with the error: "The folder path program files (x86) contains an invalid character".

I assume this was because my new optical drive was assigned to 😧 and the installer was looking for it there, so I remapped the drive letters (now there is no longer a 😧 drive anywhere), to no avail, and have subsequently tried multiple solutions online, requiring me to delete previous VMware registry entries etc.

I have done this, and now I am getting a new error: "Invalid Drive: D:\".

I suppose my question is: can I force the installer to ignore any mention of pre-existing versions of the software and simply just install the program to a new drive, or better-still; can anyone here suggest any additional files to delete (where is the installer looking to check for the software as there is no mention of it anywhere in the registry to my knowledge!)?

Thank you to anyone that can help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

please see https://kb.vmware.com/kb/1308​ which explains different methods to cleanup an old installation, starting with running the installation package with the "/clean" option (in elevated mode) down to a manual cleanup, or using the cleaner script that i's attached to the KB.

André

View solution in original post

2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

please see https://kb.vmware.com/kb/1308​ which explains different methods to cleanup an old installation, starting with running the installation package with the "/clean" option (in elevated mode) down to a manual cleanup, or using the cleaner script that i's attached to the KB.

André

christmaslunch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much for your help, the steps described in this article resolved the issue.

0 Kudos