VMware Communities
epettit
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot install Ubuntu 8.10 desktop 32-bit (GUEST) on Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit (HOST) VMware Workstation 6.5.1

Has anyone been able to install Ubuntu 8.10 desktop 32-bit (GUEST)

on Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit (HOST)

using VMware Workstation 6.5.1 build-126130?

It boots to the first screen, prompts for Language. English is highlighted as default choice. I hit Enter.

Then hit Enter again on 'Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer'.

It then boots to a blank orange-brown screen and doesn't seem to get further. At that point, the VMware Workstation application is not responsive. Can't shutdown, restart, etc. the virtual machine.

Picture: http://bayimg.com/GAOPlaaBe

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Looks like you try to boot the LiveCD version - did you assign enough RAM ?

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
epettit
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, thank you for the reply. I assigned 1024 MB to the Virtual Machine. Host has 4 GB, although Windows XP 32-bit can only see 2.75 GB.

To work around this problem I tried Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS desktop 32-bit and it has the same problem. Freezes at the brown screen. Virtual machine is completely hung. Can't click the mouse inside it to capture input, can't shut it down, can't reset it, etc.VMware Workstation can not exit. Says "vw-ubuntu32d is still busy. Please wait until the operation is complete before closing." Only way to terminate is to kill it in Task Manager.

0 Kudos
kingneutron
Expert
Expert

--At the boot screen, there should be an option where you can press F6 to specify additional boot / kernel parms. Select English, then select "Try ubuntu" and don't hit enter yet - hit F6 (Other Options) and take out the "quiet splash", then hit Enter. You should be able to see status messages during the boot process now.

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA
0 Kudos