VMware Communities
Steven4788
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot get any VM 's to network after upgrading from workstation 9 to workstation 11.

I have recently updated by VMware Workstation 9 to version 11.   I cannot get any network adapters to work on any of my virtual machines ( old or new)  I am running Windows 8 and did not have this problem using a earlier version of VNWare workstation. I have tried several things, but not seems to work.   I would appreciate if anyone has any thoughts on this.   I am getting close to opening a pay support incident with VMware.   So frustrating.   Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What's your VM network mode, NAT or Bridge ? Can your VM get valid ip address ? You can check that in your guest  by "ifconfig" for linux or "ipconfig" for windows, if you VM can get valid ip address, then you can try to ping the gateway and see the result.

0 Kudos
Steven4788
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your kind reply.  The network adapter is set at present to NAT, but I have tried both.  I ran IPConfig from the DOS prompt on one of the windows VM.  It does not show a IP.  Under the Ethernet adapter loacal area connection it says " Media disconnected"

0 Kudos
Steven4788
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your assistance.   Once I realized they were not connected at all, I went into Virtual network Editor and did a "restore defaults" on each VM.   They are happy and talking now.   Thank you so much for getting me pointed in the right direction !!!

0 Kudos