VMware Communities
Sugs05
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot find VMDK file - Due to this I cannot open the created web server on he workstation (Please help me out)

I cannot find the VDMK file to open it on my VMWARE workstation.  Its definitely not on my documents i have checked it.what could have gone wrong here? please help me out.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Sugs05,

Welcome at the VMware community forums.

Uhh.. we need a little bit more information to say something sensible about your problem.

Where did you get this VM?

Did it used to work?

What operating system is your computer running?

Is there a vmware.log file from the VM that you can attach to a reply here?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Sugs05
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wil,

Thanks for the reply.

Answers are below

Where did you get this VM? I got it in the vmware web store and its a student version.

Did it used to work? It used to work I was able to send configuration files/ VMDK file to others to open it and it did work but it doesn't work.

What operating system is your computer running? windows

Is there a vmware.log file from the VM that you can attach to a reply here?

Copy of vmware-1 text document is attached down below

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I didn't mean where did you get VMware Workstation, but where the virtual machine itself came from.

But it's OK, the log file tells the story.

You have your virtual machine under a one drive share and that's a recipe for disaster.

The log has these line:

2020-06-07T00:39:52.007+01:00| vmx| I125: DISKLIB-SPARSECHK: [C:\Users\alexp\OneDrive - Sheffield Hallam University\Coursework\Webserver2019Coursework-000022.vmdk] GT Error (EE): GT[263][192] = 308736 / 308736

2020-06-07T00:39:52.007+01:00| vmx| I125: DISKLIB-SPARSECHK: [C:\Users\alexp\OneDrive - Sheffield Hallam University\Coursework\Webserver2019Coursework-000022.vmdk] Resolving      GT[263][192] = 0

which means that slice 22 got corrupted. The grain tables are damaged and that is the reason your virtual disk can no longer be read.

You need help from either forum user André or from Ulli. Perhaps they can help you repairing the disk slice.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do you store your VMDK / VM in a directory synced with OneDrive ?

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING THAT !!!! - it will kill your vmdks.

I would suggest to discard the snapshot that uses Webserver2019Coursework-000022.vmdk

0 Kudos
Sugs05
Contributor
Contributor

That makes sense so I actually created a virtual machine and now have saved in something thats NOT SYNCED with one drive but i cant still find the VMDK file

0 Kudos
Sugs05
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Will that makes sense. I have now created a new virtual machine saved it in downloads file but i cannot still find the VMDK file.  this is stressing me out Smiley Sad

see below the log file

[log text dump removed by moderator]

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Please use the Attach function in the bottom-right of the post creator to upload log files, rather than doing a copy/paste of hundreds of lines of text.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos