VMware Communities
immortalt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot copy files with special name to host

I have tried a lot, but I cannot successfully copy files from the virtual machine to Linux hosts such as Ubuntu 20.04 and Manjaro Gnome.

The virtual machine includes Windows 10 virtual machine and Ubuntu 20.04 virtual machine. Both of them have the latest version of VMware Tools. Ubuntu 20.04 uses open-vm-tools-desktop. There is no problem copying files from the host to the virtual machine.

In fact, according to my observations, the files in the virtual machine were actually successfully copied to the host machine, but the last step was wrong.

When I was writing this question, I found that copying other files was also successful, except VID_20201224_212433.mp4. I wasted a lot of time reinstalling and replacing the operating system, and changing the version of VMware Workstation. Now the problem is further clarified.

The real problem is: VMware Workstation 15 and 16, on the host machine, when copying a file similar to "VID_20201224_212433.mp4" to the target directory, an error will occur.

I can see VID_20201224_212433.mp4 exist in the ~/.cache/vmware/drag_and_drop/6gTLgf, but the Gnome's file window alert: "No such file or dictionary". It seems that there was a problem when copying files to determine the source file path or file name, resulting in the failure to copy successfully and the source file in the temporary directory could not be found.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still meet this problem now. It's very unstable. In most cases, I will meet this problem, and I have to copy the files from the ~/.cache/vmware folder by hand.

4 Replies
rodbeede
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar issue if a file from the host has the character  #  in it.

The entire file appears in  /tmp/VMwareDnD/FdZ2dN/test##.docx  (which was a symlink to /home/rbeede/.cache/vmware/drag_and_drop/EDcUpM/test##.docx

I can manually copy the file after that, but it is annoying.

0 Kudos
rodbeede
Contributor
Contributor

I also tried install kde-plasma-desktop and pasting a file, but the same error occurs.

Looks like a bug in open-vm-tools perhaps?

open-vm-tools-desktop 2:11.3.0-2ubuntu0~ubuntu20.04.2

open-vm-tools 2:11.3.0-2ubuntu0~ubuntu20.04.2

0 Kudos
rodbeede
Contributor
Contributor

Tried apt-get purge open-vm-tools and then installed VMware Tools.

During the install this happened:

Before running VMware Tools for the first time, you need to configure it by ......

INPUT: [yes]  default

Initializing...

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

So not a good sign that it will work either.

0 Kudos
rodbeede
Contributor
Contributor

For those who found this via search as I did the bug appears to still be unresolved.

https://github.com/vmware/open-vm-tools/issues/435

0 Kudos